• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Facelift EP3: any idea on these 2 noises? Help appreciated.

Hi all,

This is my 06 premier ep3.

Purchased a few weeks ago, had a bit of work done (drop links, cv boot, gear box oil change) couple of weekends ago at TI motorsport. When they changed th cv boot (front left) they couldn't knock out the ball joint, despite a lot of bashing..it's now got a bit of play in it and not sure if need a new hub or just a new ball joint.

Anyhow, since then a few noises have appeared.

First: only heard this when car is cold, turning left a real loud grinding noise is coming from the front left wheel, goes away after the car is fully warmed up. Tried to capture it on video here. Was no noise prior to getting the work done. I've inspected the car on a ramp and nothing I rubbing on the wheel, not the lining or anything obvious. Doesn't sound like a typical 'metal on metal' sound, can't really explain.

https://vimeo.com/212453226?ref=tw-share‬

Second: this also more apparent all the time. On the down rev and about 2000rpm or 20mph there is a definite grinding of 'metal on metal' combined with a metal rattle. My friend who is a mechanic says the clutch feels like it hasn't got much life left in it, next month or so might be on the way out. Have a listen here.

https://vimeo.com/212453269?ref=tw-share‬

Any help here much appreciated. Since buying the car, I've got 3 months warranty so would rather fix any big issues early on. I rang the company yesterday and they cover clutch, engine, braking system, steering rack.. all the major bits.

Regards
Steve

Hi bud. Not sure on the 1st video but the 2nd video sounds just like what I had to have changed which was that my clutch was knackered / slipping when I bought my car after about week the noise you can hear on down shifting is either clutch release bearing ( which gets replaced with a new OEM clutch kit ) or the input shaft bearing on the gear box. I had both changed when I had my clutch fitted and the noise went.

Hope you get sorted.

Cheers

Ricki

Thanks bud, I think I've just found another thread from @shaw8391. He had, what sounds like, exactly the same noise when he turned right. Not sure how to tag him in to this thread but he changed his brakes and it disappeared. That could be right because when my car is warm (maybe when the brake pads warm up) the noise goes away.

I think you're right re the second noise, the warranty cover states: Clutch - flywheel (but excluding wear and tear on dual mass flywheel) pressure plate, release bearing, master cylinder, slave cylinder and fork lever.

If I'm understanding that correctly, they won't replace my clutch ha ha?

Thanks for any help here

Bit suspicious you've had someone recently doing work on the front left side of your car and that being the source of the first noise immediately afterwards? i'd take it back to them.

Regards the clutch it sounds like the warranty will cover everything except flywheel which is fair enough. Hopefully they will cover the £500 bill or at least meet you half way. I thought clutches on our cars were big labour till i found out my mates S60R apparently has a book time of 8-10 hours! :eek:

You don't have a dual mass flywheel so you'll be fine. But it is a wear and tear item, I wouldn't personally expect them to cover that but if you don't ask you'll never know.

Also I'd see about getting that ball joint replaced.

Yeah, I will email TI motorsport but the issue I have is that they are hours drive away and the front left noise seems only apparent when car is cold.

I wonder if when th cv boot was leaking some grease got embedded on the break pads/ discs and when cold causes some sort of grind and once warms becomes more fluid?

I will get them to sort the ball joint, they've suggested getting a new hub from a breakers as they don't know if the ball joint is the problem or the hub..or both!

Another the ugh, because the ball joint has some play in it, under load (turning left) could that cause the ballpoint to vibrate enough to cause a grinding/vibrating noise and as the car warms up the metal expands enough to stop this from happening. Just been out again in the car, quite loud turning left but after 10 mins it's gone almost completely. Also when I take the car out of the garage and turn left for the first time I always get a loudish knock, like it's the first time it's gone under load for 23 hours and has been disturbed enough to clunk...

Hope this makes sense, if any of this sounds familiar or at least feasible let me know! I ain't got a clue when it comes to mechanics im afraid!

This noise only appeared after getting the cv boot replaced, can't be a coincidence but I'm racking my brain and after reading so many threads and forums about this noise it could be 1 in a million things!

Dude, get it sorted as it's the thing you know for definite that needs doing. Then see if there's still the same noise/clunk afterwards.

All booked in at TI again next week. Going to change the hub and get some expert ears on the other noises!

Update for everyone, was taking the car out for a little drive and heard a big knock followed by loud grinding. Turned out that the ball joint had raised very high in the hub and was grinding on the abs sensor. Anyhow, it's in the garage over the weekend and fortunately the hub isn't damaged so a replacement ball joint and abs sensor getting out in. Should be good to collect tomorrow!

Back