• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fiesta drinking oil

My mum has a P reg fiesta and seems to drink oil rapidly, i'm talking like a litre a month! Now i know theres things to check like coolant, head gasket leaks etc but can someone tell me more specifically what and where to check. Car has done around 60k, though hasn't been looked after (not serviced yearly) - which i know will have more than likely caused the problem.

She seems to not recall, though from what i can remember it is quite white. Also there seems to be a creamy kind of substance around the oil cap too! Mixing water maybe? :(

Just out of interest Nick how much you looking at to get repaired??

I told them all along to look after it, though no luck!

Sorry mate I have no idea, best getting a mechanic to whip the head off and have a look, but that in itself will encure an hour`s labour minimum.

It`s a common fault on the Fiesta, and your mum will probably find other problems in the near future. I`d get rid personally

Don't go rushing into anything, if the car is running fine just using a little too much oil, dont scrap it, wait till it dies.

Mayonnaise like stuff on the rad/oil cap, blue/white smoke from the exhaust (when up to temp) and lack of power may all point to the head gasket being damaged.

But the mayo stuf could just be a little bit of moisture in the system, from the cold weather, white smoke from the exhaust could be the choke on the car before it hits optimum operating temp.

Head gasket if you get it done by a garage would probably be about £500 I would have though, mainy labour as the head has to come off and may need to b skimmed for the new gasket.

Your best bet, is to give it a little service of your own, get a new oil filter and seal(£5), sump plug(50p) and drain and change the coolant. Also change the air filter and you have done it all then. These car's have really simple engines and to do that it will be straight forward and fun TBH.

All I'd say you would need is a haynes manual and it will guide you through it all easily.

HTH.

:)

Back