• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Final drive ratios

Ted

I'm in the process of acquiring parts for uprating my gearbox/drivetrain. My car (EP3) is becoming pure track orientated and as such is being taken off the road as we speak. I've bought a KAAZ 1.5 way diff and now i'm wanting to change the final drive. However I am a little confused with all the ratios on offer. I've tried to do a bit of research on what the benefits of the differing ratios are.However i'm currently in a less than hospitable climate and my internet connection is weak at best. After giving my car it's first shake down at Castle Coombe a month ago I found myself wanting to occasionaly change down to second on the esses. I found this quite frustrating and on a more tight and techincal track I think this qould be even worse. So I want to upgrade my final drive but in all honesty know little about how the differing ratios affect acceleration.ANy ratio gurus out there please feel free to educate my lack of knowledge in this subject,Cheers,Ted

5.1 will up the ratios do still ok to drive on road. 5.46 would be better if it's track based use - this accelerates like a bit@h and you've always got the go out the corners...

5.1 will up the ratios do still ok to drive on road. 5.46 would be better if it's track based use - this accelerates like a bit@h and you've always got the go out the corners...

I think 5.1 would be great on track also, the 5.46 final drives aren't reliable IMO (m factory)

I think 5.1 would be great on track also, the 5.46 final drives aren't reliable IMO (m factory)

"the 5.46 final drives aren't reliable IMO (m factory)" in what way?? I was toying with the idea of this FD at a later dat as I want to try and stay N/A

The car isn't on the road at all and never will be in the future so everyday driveability is irrelevant to me.

How does a 5.84 sound, I run 16" wheels so think this could provide some rapido acceleration. As long as the car can still top around 130-ish mph I think I can deal with it.

5.1FD as above +4,5,6 JDM gears, LSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to Kpro but have decided to K100 instead, I really wouldn't use the datalogging and am more than happy with a fit tune and forget type of ECU. I dont intend on upping power any further.

The Jap 4,5,6 does interest me though, assume they're shorter? Not easy to come by no doubt!

So how would a 5.1 be better than a 5.84? A bit of research has shown me that a 5.84 sound exactly what I want. Not wanting to ignore any persons suggestions just like to hear valid reasons for and against.

Cheers

A 5.84 is absolutely crazy short.

1st gear will rev out at 32mph
2nd 49mph
3rd 69mph
4th 92mph
5th 114mph
6th 142mph

Assuming an 8500rpm rev limit and 205/45/17 tyres

Im going with Gear X as theyre well reviewed. But they also do the 6.33. The rally boys love it! :)

Going with 4,5,6 jdm and 5,1 you make your first 3 gears shorter but not too short and the last three short enough to pull like a mutha and still be track friendly with OEM reliability. As stated above 5,84 will destroy your ratios completely. The way I see it for a mildly tuned engine like yours 4,5,6 jap and 5,1 is the only way forward. You can get a jdm gear box and sell on your ukdm one. What are your plans for LSD?

Last edited by a moderator:
8500rpm
205/45/17

1st 30mph
2nd 53mph
3rd 74mph
4th 98mph
5th 122mph
6th 152mph
ish

Thanks for that Stoo.

DiD thanks for the insight into the jap gearing. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one but I think they' be at thefat end of a skinny budget. I've bought a KAAZ plated diff, personal experience of this brand from my drift days seemed like a no brainer for me.

Yes, I did the first lot on a scrap of paper at work and then a colleague of mine mentioned the M Factory site! haha!

Back