• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Finally seen another FK8

It's only taken almost 8 months but I have finally seen another FK8 on the road. :)
Was a black one in my local area with K70 on the number plate. I would have given a wee wave but was too late after I spotted it.
Wonder if it is anybody on here?

I bet your heart sank a little :lol:
My 1st FK2 was also about 8 months in, another CW as well and we both appeared on the bend at the same time, I reckon the picture on our faces was identical.
I live in a small county and it was about 6:15am so certainly wasn't expecting to cross paths with another for some time, I never saw it again after that

I just did a Watford - Exeter -Watford road trip last two days and saw a lovely PMM parked up in a lay by on the A30 and for the first time I was questioning my colour choice as it looked great sparkling in the sun.......it caught me up at a Shell garage as I was leaving and to my surprise the Driver was an elderly gentleman and his wife. Had a good wave and thumbs up....

So I was gonna say what a lovely GT car the FK8 makes after my 300 miles, but my Check Tyre Pressure warning came on despite no problems with them....can anyone remember the fix? Or is it back to a dealer jobbie?

Mine came on Tuesday morning, always makes my arse twitch hearing that ping.
It's been a common niggle since the FK2, near always on long straight roads.
You need to recalibrate them else you constantly get that annoying ping

I've seen the local Dealer Demo car on the road a few times.

....can anyone remember the fix? Or is it back to a dealer jobbie?

Mine did it about 3 times in as many days. I phoned the service dept and they told me to do a "hard reset" which involved doing something with the touchscreen but can't remember what it was.. hasn't happened again.

Had to reset mine yesterday for the second time since owning. I checked the pressures prior to resetting and they were all OK.

I had done the M4, M5 the day before so very straight, very boring. The 'Bong' came after a rather stunning take on a hairpin on the A30 which made me nearly blackout due to the G forces but made me go 'wow' and clap the handling...so maybe it came on due to the fact the tyres nearly came off the rim..!:lol:

thanks....next question, how do you recalibrate them?!

The non hard reset method...
Settings > Vehicle > TMPS Calibration (top option) > Calibrate

Quite ironic this got mentioned as it’s pinged on twice in my last 2 drives in the last 2 weeks both whilst I was on a straight road when it came on. Didn’t notice anything so recalibrated when tyres were cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Honda don't use a sensor valve approach in each tyre to monitor any decrease in pressure, but monitor any decrease in wheel/tyre size and make assumptions based on that. Do they use the ABS sensors to do that??

I know it's bad form to look at the manual :) but they suggest any hard acceleration or braking may trigger a TPMS alert, but both of mine happened driving normally in a straight line.

The non hard reset method...
Settings > Vehicle > TMPS Calibration (top option) > Calibrate

Quite ironic this got mentioned as it’s pinged on twice in my last 2 drives in the last 2 weeks both whilst I was on a straight road when it came on. Didn’t notice anything so recalibrated when tyres were cold.

That’s along the lines I remember the service guy telling me to do, but I’m sure I was told I had to do it 3 times in succession (or something like that) to do it more of a permanent reset.

I think Honda don't use a sensor valve approach in each tyre to monitor any decrease in pressure, but monitor any decrease in wheel/tyre size and make assumptions based on that. Do they use the ABS to do that??
Working on the rolling circumference of the wheel using the ABS is the old way of doing things......it is proper TPMS now using individual wheel sensors.
I believe something was put in place a few years ago by law to make tyre pressure monitoring compulsory on all new cars.

That’s along the lines I remember the service guy telling me to do, but I’m sure I was told I had to do it 3 times in succession (or something like that) to do it more of a permanent reset.

this^. I was also told to do it 3 consecutive times to ensure a full calibration reset had occured.

Working on the rolling circumference of the wheel using the ABS is the old way of doing things......it is proper TPMS now using individual wheel sensors.
I believe something was put in place a few years ago by law to make tyre pressure monitoring compulsory on all new cars.

yeah, it's a shame with all the bells and whistles our cars have that there isn't a on-board view of tyre pressures per corner. I'm thinking with the roads being cold/wet one minute and then hot/humid soon after and combined with sticky rubber on the Continentals that the TPMS is probably just pinging up a warning because of the pressure fluctuation seen as they go from cold to hot to cold again.

I have still yet to see another FK2 whilst I'm driving about. I have seen an 18 plate red FK8 though and I got a wave as he went the opposite way.

EU law mandates that every new passenger car has to have a TPMS system, but doesn't dictate what system has to be used.

According to the manual supplied with the car (page 601):

"Instead of directly monitoring the pressure in each tyre, the deflation warning system on this vehicle monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tyre while you are driving to determine if one or more tyres are significantly under-inflated."

My previous BMW had the direct TPMS system that you mention and displayed individual tyre pressures and temperatures and was 100% reliable over 18 months.

So it is DDS on this car rather than TPMS.
Very surprised at this. :shock:
I stand corrected. :smt053
Regarding TPMS though....this doesn't necessarily mean that individual pressures are displayed, so you can still be in the dark regarding which wheel has set off the alarm. My 2015 Focus ST was like this and had sensors on all the valves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back