• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

First CTR/vtec - advice on looking after the engine?

Hi All,

Just joined as I should be picking my Milano Red, 11 plate FN2 CTR soon :D my first fast car.
Instantly fell in love with it when i test drove it! Anyway, i have a couple of questions i wanted to ask regarding oil/petrol etc to keep the engine healthy. Apologies if this is the wrong section! I've tried to find answers but never seem to get a definite answer.

1. Is it advised to use vpower all the time instead of standard unleaded? Does it keep the engine healthier or is it just a performance gain?
2. As vtec guzzles oil, is it better to buy a higher quality (castrol) instead of halfords etc?
3. Is there a minimum time/amount of miles you should do after starting the car before using vtec?
4. When watching youtube, people seem to have no fear putting their civics past 8000rpm, are they killing their engines or using vtec like it's designed to be used?

Thanks!

1. No. personal preference. it runs just fine on 95 ron.
2. Yes, get the best oil you can.
3. As long as the engine is up to temp you're fine.
3. No, the engines designed to be thrashed. If it did it damage, they wouldn't put the rev limit so high.

With oil it's the grade that's important rather than the 'brand'.

ANY 5w40 Fully Synthetic.

Cool! thanks for that.
So as long as i keep the oil checked, use good grade oil, and keep up with the servicing intervals, i should be fine to hit vtec day in day out? (not thrash it, just use the engine how it was designed to be used)

Cheers!

Check the oil regularly, never rev it past 3k when it's cold (remember just because the water temp is warm doesn't mean the oil temp is - oil takes longer to warm)

In my experience the K20 engines really are happy to take a lot of abuse as long as serviced correctly

My 2005 EP3 I owned for 3 years between the mileages of about 35k - 70k and in those 35,000 or so miles, it got VTEC'd on most journeys once the oil was warm, never put a foot wrong

My current FN2 is on 52k and feels very healthy also. Remember these engines are designed to be revved, just don't bounce it off the rev limiter, but don't be scared of hitting it every once in a while as it is there to prevent damage.

As everyone says - Oil and temperature (goes for any car really). I check mine once a week and don't even do that many miles. It has done 150,000 now and I change the oil every 6-10k. Also never thrash any car from cold.

Amazes me how well it still pulls. It even made 208bhp on the rollers at 140,000 last year and it only has a DC Sports cat back and K&N Typhoon.

Look after it and it will look after you, I guarantee you. If it is low on oil, don't thrash it until you have topped it up.

Back