• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

First time owner

Hi

Just picked her up this Saturday, drove from Glasgow to Sheffield and back. Only 41k on the clock.

typer1.jpg

typer2.jpg

typer3.jpg

typer4.jpg

typer5.jpg

typer6.jpg

Today was the first chance I had to get the car to our mechanic for a look over on the ramp.

Found this :

welding.jpg

Turns out the car has had an accident at the rear passenger side, the full suspension has been replaced at that side, but more noticeable straight away on the pic is that the rear cross member has been WELDED all round!! (spot the brand new screws!)

Mechanic has said it's nothing major to worry about but that, along with some colour mis-matching you can see in the sun, it still feels like a kick in the nuts.

Another thing, don't these cars come with fog-lights in them? Noticed some repair work done at underside of the front bumper and wondering if the prev owner has just cut corners and not replaced the fog lights.....IF it had them to start with.

Sorry to hear that, It must feel a bit of a bummer.

Fogs wern't standard mate, no :)

It's a downer man....if I knew that was there at the time I would've walked away in all honesty. I know thats the chance we all take on private sales but.............didn't feel a 'connection' with it and certainly don't now. I still see my BMW 3 series coupe sitting there on the driveway every day, now in the hands of my parents.

Will time tell?

Flog it if you're not happy, I'm sure you could get another one without making a loss, apart from the hassle?

Even better, get a pre face :D

Bank loan to fund it, not got the new docs yet through from the DVLA.

Aren't I a bit.....up the river without a paddle?

Apologies as never happened to me before from a private sale

really sorry to hear this mate.
i had the same happen with my skyline.
Took it in for some tasty mods and got a call to say that it couldnt be done as the car had been in a front ender and couldnt be jigged anymore to get it properly straight!
its just so annoying that people are willing to sell cars like this on without a second thought.
look on the bright side mate, you cant tell without looking very closely/underneath and at least its not unsafe to use so youve still got transport.

Today was the first chance I had to get the car to our mechanic for a look over on the ramp.

Found this :

Turns out the car has had an accident at the rear passenger side, the full suspension has been replaced at that side, but more noticeable straight away on the pic is that the rear cross member has been WELDED all round!! (spot the brand new screws!)

Did you not do a history/HPi check?

Sorry to hear about this.

AA/RAC vehicle inspections are well worth the money.

HPi checks only see whether there is any outstanding finance, nothing more.

UPDATE :

I realise now I may have been a bit hasty. Yes I was wanting to sell the car as 2 weeks after I bought it I was informed in work that I would be moving locations and now no longer using the car everyday as I planned.

So I put her up for sale.

Hindsight remains a wonderful thing.

Yes she was a Category C in January 2009, but MOT given May 2009, so been fixed.
Yes the previous owner didn't inform me of that.
Yes I should have forked out the extra money for the proper check at the time.

Fact is, I didn't.

Now 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Call me weird but I see a car as not just a car, but as having their own personality. Something more than just getting you from A to B.

For this reason I have come to the conclusion this car has not had the time, care and attention given to it that it deserves.
It deserves someone to bring it back from the brink, to return it as near as possible to the most perfect condition it was originally.
I personally know 2 mechanics who I would trust whole-heartedly with anything. I also know a brother of one of the mechanics who does paintwork.
With the help of them and also from the knowlege within this club I know in my heart I can do this and I WILL be ...............

......RESURRECTING R-29589!!

Good for you mate. Bring the shed back from the dead!

Oh and don't trust an MOT as the be all and end all. Plenty ways to get wrecks through an MOT.

Back