• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

First time polishing with Dual Action

Hi i am going to attempt to polish a car for the first time soon, i have plenty of Autoglym Super Resin polish bought for me as presents, so i am wanting to use all that before i look at purchasing some more. As we all know Honda's have soft paint. My car is a silver FN2

The paint is a good condition, only very light swirl marks if any a few light scracthes here and there. Can any of you please recommend a polishing pad to use with SRP and for the soft paint.

Once polished i will IPA'ing and finishing with FK1000p, is it then best to apply this by hand or by the da, if the da is there a recommended pad for this also?

Once i have ran out of srp can anyone reccomend a good polish/pad combination for my car. Ideally which can also be used on a white Audi a3, 2013 plate.

Your help and advise is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Whilst the SRP+DA will provide a nice finish, it won't do too much actual correction work. More of a filling jobby; it's not very abbraisive.

I'd pick up some Dodo Lime Prime (not lime prime lite), together with a polishing pad - 3m yellow waffle one.

The LP has abbraisives in, but isn't too hardcore for the Honda paint.

Apply wax by hand (with applicator pad)

I use hex logic pads. I'd use black (no cut) for the SRP, purely for ease of application, it's a waste with the da though. The audi paint is ridiculously hard, you'll need completely different polishes and pads to correct both. I'm pretty dubious to do the Honda to be honest! My golf took an awful lot to correct!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Was trying to get good luck at my car tonight. With silver it's very hard to see any swirls. I had one of my bike light Cree led torches trying to look at it. Think it may have been too bright ha. Started to hurt my eyes after a while but it did not show anything up. Summer is still here so I still have a bit of time to do work on the polish and pad finding the right combo.

Any my house hold items that would show swirls up?

Norv. Is that a chemicals guys hex logic pad in black?

My method will be

snowfoam
wash
decomtam
clay with clay towel
polish
ipa
seal with the fk1000p

will there be any other steps needed or will that do just fine?

Yeah chemical guys I have. I can't remember the gradings on the top of my head, I'm sure black were the soft application ones as opposed to cutting ones. I haven't cleaned the car properly for wayyyyy too long to comment. I used to wash, clay, wash, Polish glaze and wax. Worked well for me. I'm sure some pros will have a bit more to say!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

If you're using SRP, don't use IPA after it
SRP has fillers in it which will make your car look nice and glossy, and reduce swirl marks, but when you use the IPA you will remove all the filling oils.

Just as easy to put FK1000P straight over the SRP.

Either that or use Dodo Juice Lime Prime like ^Joe says.
I have used DDJ before and it corrects quite nicely on soft paint.

Back