• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fit A Push Button Start

Untitled-1.jpg

I have just installed my starter button and used the instructions that came with it. I have a limited knowledge of this type of stuff but managed to wire it in about 45 minutes.

This guide is general and can be used for most installations, but it it very important that you identify the correct wires before you begin.

To Identify the wires use a voltmeter and not a test lamp to confirm the identity of the of the

1. Starter wire
2. 12v ignition source
3. 12v constant supply

The starter wire will only show 12v when the ignition key is turned all the way forward to the engine crank position.

The ignition source will only show 12v when the ignition is turned on. Verify that it is an ignition wire and not an accessory wire by starting the car up and watching the Volt meter. An accesory wire will go to Ground during engine start, but an ignition wire will stay at 12v during engine start

The 12v constant source can come from either the fuse panel or the Ignition.

2004 Honda Civic Vehicle Wiring Information

These are the only wires you need to tap into. After taking the the steering colum surround off you will se a plug with these wires going in to it.

12v White
Starter Black/White
Ignition Black/Yellow
Accessory Black/Red
Second Accessory White/Red

First connect start Button

Pin 1 is the output to PIN 85 on the relay
Pin 2 is connected to the 12v Ignition source (Black/Yellow)
Pin3 is to Ground (Metal Earth) - Needed For the Button Light

Now Connect The Relay

Wire Pin 30 to the 12v Constant Source (White)
Wire Pin 86 to Ground (metal body earth)
Wire Pin 87 to starter wire on sterring column (Black/White)

I too have recently fitted one of these with very limited knowledge. It's a piece of piss, as long as you follow the advice above.

Woohoo! Finally installed mine. :D

Anyway, I've added the wire colours to clem's description below just so it's clear. :) Thanks, Clem! Really useful How-To.

First connect start Button

Pin 1 is the output to PIN 85 on the relay
Pin 2 is connected to the 12v Ignition source (Black/Yellow)
Pin3 is to Ground (Metal Earth) - Needed For the Button Light

Now Connect The Relay

Wire Pin 30 to the 12v Constant Source (White)
Wire Pin 86 to Ground (metal body earth)
Wire Pin 87 to starter wire on sterring column (Black/White)

how do these starter button work exactly?

do you still have the option of turning your key to start?
Yes, and you still need to turn the key to switch the ignition on. The button just starts the engine.

Its all a bit of a gimmick really, nice for the first 3 weeks then after that a bit pointless as you'll forget you have a button and just use the key. ;)

This thread saved me a lot of time. the hardwiring thread also helped when getting the centre consol off. Good work guys!

how do these starter button work exactly?

do you still have the option of turning your key to start?

Its all a bit of a gimmick really, nice for the first 3 weeks then after that a bit pointless as you'll forget you have a button and just use the key. ;)

He doesn't come on here much anymore but when Colin had his CTR he had a starter button fitted and he had it set up so you couldn't start the car with the key at all. It was just used to switch everything on, you had to use the button to start the car. :cool:

im getting the s2000 starter button from Japan on order but that sounds like hard work and difficult...

how do you get the steering colum surround off? cause i want the starter button where my hazard light button is (getting rid of cigarette lighter as dont smoke so will switch the buttons around to have starter button on the right side of gear stick)

I quite fancied swapping them over too, I do however have a suspicion that it would be more hassle than its worth to be honest, will just be content with having to reach that little bit further. I struggle to push the preset radio stations 1, 2 and 3 as it is without leaning all the way forward!

I do like that, but like the thought of having the vtec light there.

Also im shocked/stunned that you would even consider smoking in your car! I'm a smoker but there is a strict no fags/food/drink rule in my baby.

How long have you had the car?

I vowed never to smoke in mine, think I went about 3 weeks

As for the VTEC light, you wouldn`t see it as it`s behind the steering wheel

Good point well made, I've had it nearly 3 weeks..........but i dont think i will.....watch this space!!!

ok confused........sensor? does it come on all by itself or some shizzle?

thought it looked like something useful.....

Back