• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 replacing stock speakers

Edit: SPEAKERS.. not spears.. lol.. can't edit the title, if someone can, please do :)

Hi,

I went through a couple pages of this subforum and couldn't find anything specific.
I love my new FN2 CTR but the factory speakers are appaling. I don't want to touch the stereo unit, just the speakers. What are good replacements out there? Any personal recommendations ? whats the output power of the stock headunit in the FN2? (not satnav)

Cheers,
Jan

Not many people on here have upgraded their speakers in the FN2 I don't think.

I'll have a look later tonight and get some info.

No idea what the standard head unit power is, it can't be that much to be honest.

I would appreciate any info! Stock speakers are terrible, even with bass set to +6 can't hear any at all :( In my previous car (mr2 turbo) engine was so loud I never listened to the radio anyway, but the CTR is so quiet it begs for good quality speakers! :D

Right, bulk is stolen from other threads around the net, having not done this myself as I tend to drive round with the windows open and the radio is just a bit of background noise when I stop at lights and roundabouts! :lol:

I did have the wife's FK2 door cards off though, so that is my bit.

Speaker wire colours:

The connection decode for the Civ speaker wires is:
Front left + Light Green
Front left - Light Blue
Front right + Grey
Front right - Brown

Rear left + Yellow
Rear left - Brown
Rear right + Blue
Rear right - Orange

Front:

Obviously a door card off job, not that hard from experience. Tweeters pop off at the top. There is a screw behind the clip off panel in the interior door handle recess and a screw under the rubber mat on the grab handle bit on the door arm rest thingy. It should then start popping off. I broke loads of the clips on the wife's car when I did hers. You will also need to disconnect the window controls and the handle mechanism to get the door cards off completely.

Infinity seem to be a popular choice.

Went out and bought some Infinity Reference 6510CS components and some Astra adaptor rings.

Tweeters - glued in.
Woofers - drilled in the rings and mounted the woofers so that they didn't foul the metal.
X-over - stuck in the inside bottom of the door with double sided number plate tape.
Polarity - on the old woofer, +ve is the right hand connection as you look at the back of the speaker (tested with a 1.5v battery!)

On the crossover, I used the -3db connection for the tweeter, to limit the already strong treble. The bass will never be great in the Civ, since the front doors make terrible speakers cabinets.

Sound Quality? Best upgrade I've done on any car. Absolutley ace, and you'd be convinced it was a proper amped setup.

Happy at last!

sp13.jpg

sp14.jpg

sp15.jpg

sp16.jpg

sp17.jpg

Link for the speaker rings: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1995.html

Rears:

Infinity again, this is more of a guide.

This shows you how to replace the rear speakers on a 3 door Civic (ie Type R). The existing speakers are lightweight poor quality woofers. The new speakers are coaxial – ie with built in tweeters.

Parts Needed:
1 A Pair of quality 6.5” coaxial Speakers – I used Infinity Kappa 62.7i, simply because I found a good deal on ebay (about a third of the retail price!!). They need to be coaxial for the best improvement as there are no separate tweeters in the rear.
2 Two Speaker rings similar to those used for the front doors in Pottsy’s guide. Alternatively make them out of 19mm MDF sheet like I did. (An off cut of MDF cost £2 and this would have been enough to make numerous speaker rings). The MDF needs to be sealed to make it moisture proof - I used wood exterior primer.
3 4 sq ft of Dynamat Extreme soundproofing sheet – optional but recommended.
4 Check you have enough screws, clips and tape etc.

Sequence:
1 Remove the red armrest cover as shown in photo. Bend in the red part above the black to help release the clips. It needs a fair bit of levering and fiddling so you need to be very careful not to damage the trim
2 Remove the @ six screws holding on the panel above the armrest
3 Remove the panel above the armrest – this comes off easily.
4 Remove old rear speaker. There is 1 screw at the top, then a bit of a push breaks the bond with the door panel. Watch for the 2 locating clips at the bottom of the speaker.
5 Fix the new speaker ring to the door. I used 4 self tapping screws with panel clips behind the doors. The screws and clips came with the speakers. The steel panel needs to be drilled first.
6 Connect the speaker wires to the crossover. The colour coding in the wiki is repeated here as it is still correct for the Type R.
Rear Left + Yellow
Rear Left – Brown
Rear Right +Blue
Rear Right - Orange
7 Wire the crossover to the speaker as per speaker supplier’s instructions. I use duct tape to secure loose cables to panels – this avoids them being the source of an annoying rattle.
8 The Crossover is stuck behind the steel panel with double sided foam tape
9 Apply Dynamat Extreme sound proofing on both sides of the panel the speaker is mounted on + some on the outer body panel (see photos). I used @ 4 sq ft in total, which cost £20.
10 Mount the speaker on the speaker ring. I used 4 small screws per speaker in pre drilled holes. These screws came with the speakers.
11 Put the panels back.
12 Go and enjoy a nice cup of tea.

Photos in sequence below:

a1DSC00139.jpg

a2DSC00140.jpg

a3DSC00141.jpg

a4DSC00142.jpg

a5DSCF1035.jpg

a6DSCF1036.jpg

a7DSCF1039.jpg

a8DSCF1043.jpg

a9DSCF1044.jpg

a9DSCF1045.jpg

I run Hertz ESK165 components running off a Hertz HE4 amp. I'm very happy with that setup

Need more help. It seems the Infinity 6510cs is no longer available. What are the modern equvilent?? ideally to stick with infinity.​

Right, bulk is stolen from other threads around the net, having not done this myself as I tend to drive round with the windows open and the radio is just a bit of background noise when I stop at lights and roundabouts! :lol:

I did have the wife's FK2 door cards off though, so that is my bit.

Speaker wire colours:

The connection decode for the Civ speaker wires is:
Front left + Light Green
Front left - Light Blue
Front right + Grey
Front right - Brown

Rear left + Yellow
Rear left - Brown
Rear right + Blue
Rear right - Orange

Front:

Obviously a door card off job, not that hard from experience. Tweeters pop off at the top. There is a screw behind the clip off panel in the interior door handle recess and a screw under the rubber mat on the grab handle bit on the door arm rest thingy. It should then start popping off. I broke loads of the clips on the wife's car when I did hers. You will also need to disconnect the window controls and the handle mechanism to get the door cards off completely.

Infinity seem to be a popular choice.

Link for the speaker rings: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1995.html

Rears:

Infinity again, this is more of a guide.

Is there a cross over on the rear even if I'm upgrading to coaxial?

Is there a cross over on the rear even if I'm upgrading to coaxial?

It's not my guide, as I said it was lifted from other parts of the web. That chap used a crossover with coaxials.

Other than that, no idea.

Back