• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Type R 2 year 25k Service

Just had the 2nd year service done. Car have covered 23k. Was amazed to be charged £380 inclusive for what appeared like a first service according to the invoice.

Pollen Filter was changed, and oil and oil filter, but that appears to be it for sundry items. The rest are screenwash additives or other lubricants. Labour charge was £220 exc VAT. I changed the air filter for a K&N panel one about 2 months ago and told them not to replace it, but even so............
I thought the valve clearances were checked every 2 years or 25k whichever is sooner on the FN2 Type R?

The guy at the service desk told me the brake fluid is changed after 3 years, and then every 2 and the valve clearances every 5 years or 62,500k on this model. Does this seem correct? It was every 2 Years or 25k on the EP3 apparently.

Any advice is much appreciated as i can't help thinking is a-miss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had the 2nd year service done. Car have covered 23k. Was amazed to be charged £380 inclusive for what appeared like a first service according to the invoice.

Pollen Filter was changed, and oil and oil filter, but that appears to be it for sundry items. The rest are screenwash additives or other lubricants. Labour charge was £220 exc VAT. I changed the air filter for a K&N panel one about 2 months ago and told them not to replace it, but even so............
I thought the valve clearances were checked every 2 years or 25k whichever is sooner on the FN2 Type R?

The guy at the service desk told me the brake fluid is changed after 3 years, and then every 2 and the valve clearances every 5 years or 62,500k on this model. Does this seem correct? It was every 2 Years or 25k on the EP3 apparently.

Any advice is much appreciated as i can't help thinking is a-miss.

At 25k miles the tappets/valve clearances need adjusting when the car is cold, so I don't know where the service manager has got that from. Check the service schedule, it is on there.

£380 sounds about right for a main dealer price if they've done the clearances and the labour charge seems to suggest it has been done.

Just checked, I'd phone them up, call the service manager a muppet as he was looking at the 1.8 service schedule and demand that they are checked and adjusted because you have been charged for it.

Service.jpg

I thought that was the case! Damn it!!!!!! Will have to ring them back Monday. It was only Monday this week it was done.

I dropped the car to them at 8am and i receieved the phonecall to say it was ready at 12:30pm. Checking and adjusting the valve clearances service takes a day right?

I thought the amount was a little high for smaller sundry items......... This dealer has always been spot on in the past.............but this last service was a total let down.

I thought that was the case! Damn it!!!!!! Will have to ring them back Monday. It was only Monday this week it was done.

I dropped the car to them at 8am and i receieved the phonecall to say it was ready at 12:30pm. Checking and adjusting the valve clearances service takes a day right?

I thought the amount was a little high for smaller sundry items......... This dealer has always been spot on in the past.............but this last service was a total let down.

Correct as they have to be done with the engine cold.

They'll have just put the standard price through that includes all the labour time for for adjusting the clearances. :rolleyes:

I recieved a full maintenence work shedule for the 1st years service...............and nothing for the 2nd one. I should have smelled a rat then. To be honest it just didn't feel right paying that amount for what was included on the job sheet..........now i know i should have listened to my instincts at the time!! :(

That means a full day without my car when the stupid beggers should have done the job properly first time around..................... Really really not happy. I wonder if they will provide me with a courtesey car free of charge to get to and from work for the hassle?

I had to leave mine there over night so they could check the clearances in the morning.

Thanks Guys, much appreciated. Honda U.K have also just confirmed what you have said by phone.

I've also called the dealership before i spoke to Honda U.K.........and was told by the guy on the service desk he is going to check with mechanic and tech guru there and get back to me. He still didn't seem sure.

Doh............now wish i'd have waited and had that ammunition. I'm now thinking, if this sepcific dealership, who have always been first rate up until now (and who evidently went under a name/franchise change about 6 months ago, as the original owners retired) could have also not carried out the work on other Type R's like mine when in fact they should have!!! I really hope people would have checked.............and queried. :( Really concerned now.

I've got my car booked in for it's 25k - 2nd year service on Thursday. They're doing £205 for the standard Air, Pollen, Oil etc, but no mention on valve clearances. So I called them up just now and they've said that on the older EP3 it was every 25k and on the FN2 it's at 62.5k......... I remain confused!

Just checked, I'd phone them up, call the service manager a muppet as he was looking at the 1.8 service schedule and demand that they are checked and adjusted because you have been charged for it.

Service.jpg

I've got my car booked in for it's 25k - 2nd year service on Thursday. They're doing £205 for the standard Air, Pollen, Oil etc, but no mention on valve clearances. So I called them up just now and they've said that on the older EP3 it was every 25k and on the FN2 it's at 62.5k......... I remain confused!

My service book is from 2007, definitely FN2 era. It clearly says Every 25,000 for Accord, Civic Type R, CRV, Jazz (02-05), FRV (04-06), Stream, all the rest are 62,500.

creilly81 has had this confirmed by Honda UK, nothing to be confused about. The dealer is wrong. They may be getting confused seeing 2006 Civic, but yours should be on the Type R schedule.

Hi,

Yes as Loxy said, Honda U.K confirmed to me on Monday that the Type R is every 2 years or 25k miles and that any dealer wishing to dispute this should contact their Technical Support department. My owner log book/manual also confirms this in the service section.

I spoke with my corresponding dealer again yesterday.........having called at 8:10am............12:30pm and again at 5:30pm and was promised each time to get a call back as it was being "sorted out". Nothing.................then I did however receive a phone call at 5:40pm informing me to book it in and the valve clearances would be done. He then went on to say, because of the fine tolerances on the Type R engine they need to be done fairly often. I thought, yes you herbert, that's what I’ve been telling you.

I then clarified what I’ve been told on this thread, and asked if they wanted me to leave the car with them overnight so the engine is stone cold in the morning.

I was told, and I quote "As long as the engine isn't at optimum racing temp and is almost cold it's fine!" Errrrr NOOOO I don't think so!
Anyway, I gave my 2p worth and have booked it in next Tuesday morning, dropping it to them Monday eve when I finish work. I do now wonder if they will leave the car in the car park, and move it to the workshop in the morning.........which would be completely the same thing as me driving it there!!

I'm sure the mechanics will provide the excellent service as I’ve experienced in the past and know the procedure rather than the service guy I spoke with but it still does leave me wondering what WILL actually happen.

If you want the reassurance, call Honda U.K directly who will confirm. Your dealer shouldn't be making this mistake. Can I ask, which dealer are you dealing with?

It does seem a bit odd that more then 1 dealership has actually come to the same conclusion though. Loxy?

Last edited by a moderator:
My service book is from 2007, definitely FN2 era. It clearly says Every 25,000 for Accord, Civic Type R, CRV, Jazz (02-05), FRV (04-06), Stream, all the rest are 62,500.

creilly81 has had this confirmed by Honda UK, nothing to be confused about. The dealer is wrong. They may be getting confused seeing 2006 Civic, but yours should be on the Type R schedule.

Cheers Loxy, just got off the phone to them, they won't budge, even put me on the phone to their technician who tried to convince me I was wrong! Gonna try contact Honda UK and speak to someone there.

Cheers Loxy, just got off the phone to them, they won't budge, even put me on the phone to their technician who tried to convince me I was wrong! Gonna try contact Honda UK and speak to someone there.

Can I ask, which dealer are you dealing with?

As i said, if they are refusing to do it, get them to contact the Honda U.K Technical team who will clarify it's every 2 years or 25k miles.

Just to give you another update.

Called Honda U.K again just now and said that a number of dealers are informing Customers that the valve clearance adjustment/check is every 62.500k miles or 5 years not 25k or 2 years. They are going to send confirmation over the delivery network of dealerships outlining the correct service maintenance schedule for the Type R. :) :)

Just to give you another update.

Called Honda U.K again just now and said that a number of dealers are informing Customers that the valve clearance adjustment/check is every 62.500k miles or 5 years not 25k or 2 years. They are going to send confirmation over the delivery network of dealerships outlining the correct service maintenance schedule for the Type R. :) :)

Excellent, well done bud! :smt023

Guys, thanks for this info, spoke to Honda UK yesterday and they take upto 3 days to deal with each query but my car is booked in for tomorrow! Told the dealer about this and they have finally agreed to include this in my 25k service. I don't actually know the significance of valve clearance but if my baby needs it, that's what she gets! Also, does £105 sound about right for this?

Guys, thanks for this info, spoke to Honda UK yesterday and they take upto 3 days to deal with each query but my car is booked in for tomorrow! Told the dealer about this and they have finally agreed to include this in my 25k service. I don't actually know the significance of valve clearance but if my baby needs it, that's what she gets! Also, does £105 sound about right for this?

And so they should. Sounds like they are trying to do you a favour.........when it should already be included!!! :mad: Anyway glad it's being done.

I paid £370 for my 25k 2nd service (actually £380 but the extra 10 was a courtesey car) so you've been given a good price when added to your origianl total.

It is very important on the Type R due to the nature of the engine and to keeping it running sweet at the correct tollerances. It's only a riocker box cover lift off job (The red casing on top of the engine), and an check/adjustment for each valve with a feeler gauge.
It's a job you could undertake yourself if your handy with a set of spanners! :lol: :cool:

Yep £310 all in, can't complain........much! I'm def not handy with mechanical stuff! Best I leave it to the "professionals", they know what they're doing(!) Haha!
Just noticed our cars are twins........ both 58 plates in milano red with a GP front skirt & with similar miles.

Would not be taking my FN2 to a stealer who does not even know the proper service schedule of my car.
Find a new stealer before they ar*e it up and do some damage.

Back