• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 FN2 Type R Questions

Hi All,

I am new to the forum as I will be embarking on Type R ownership very soon. Im looking at getting a 58 plate CTR and I had some questions about some aspects of the car. Its fair to say that im confident the type R is the way to go for me as the GTI is too expensive, Focus ST is a Ford and the Mazda MPS is a bit dull.

So now for the questions,
-Servicing costs, is there a nasty surprise when you take it in for a 60k service, the equivelent for my mazda 6 cost almost a grand!!! im keen to avoid this happening again.
-Can the standard stereo be upgraded without too much hassle, i.e how easy is it to install the bassworks kit that honda sell.
-Tyres - I have heard that Bridgestone Potenza's are best for the CTR, is this true.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi All,

I am new to the forum as I will be embarking on Type R ownership very soon. Im looking at getting a 58 plate CTR and I had some questions about some aspects of the car. Its fair to say that im confident the type R is the way to go for me as the GTI is too expensive, Focus ST is a Ford and the Mazda MPS is a bit dull.

-Servicing costs, is there a nasty surprise when you take it in for a 60k service, the equivelent for my mazda 6 cost almost a grand!!! im keen to avoid this happening again.
-Can the standard stereo be upgraded without too much hassle, i.e how easy is it to install the bassworks kit that honda sell.
-Tyres - I have heard that Bridgestone Potenza's are best for the CTR, is this true.

Servicing isn't too bad, big ones are at 25k, 50k, 75k etc when the valve clearances need checking. It is extra labour only, but comes to around £400 at an expensive main dealer. Cheaper ones are around £340-360. No timing belt to change as it is a chain on the K20.

Standard stereo can be replaced. You need a double din fascia and a some adaptor cables. A company that is known for this on the 8th gen Civic is ImpulseCar. This is a LH drive car but you get the idea.

CIMG2829.jpg

CIMG2826.jpg

CIMG2827.jpg

CIMG2831.jpg

The Potenza RE050A tyres are good, but there are better. There is a section with lots of threads on tyres, have a look: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?153-Tyres-Wheels-and-Brakes

Continental Sport Contact 3s did well in the 2010 Evo Tyre Test.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-EVO-Tyre-Test.htm

Thanks very much, good news about the servicing i guess, not too bad for a performance hatch. I'm guessing the FN2 CTR is as solid as you would expect Honda to be in terms of reliability. I think all thats left for me to do is find a nice example and part with my mazda and hard earned cash :)

Thanks very much, good news about the servicing i guess, not too bad for a performance hatch. I'm guessing the FN2 CTR is as solid as you would expect Honda to be in terms of reliability. I think all thats left for me to do is find a nice example and part with my mazda and hard earned cash :)

They have their foibles like any car, any forums you read will always have the polarised view where the few people with issues will post up their woes and the thousands without don't, but in the main it is a solid car.

Service history is crucial with these cars. They don't like being run low on oil, so a well looked after example is a must.

Don't confuse this with modified, as the people who have modified them usually look after them properly.

Hi All,

erm.... don't know if you've already bought but I'm selling mine... let me know if you're interested. Willing to consider offers.

thanks.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...CIVIC-Type-R-GT-Milano-Red-2008-30k-£13700ono

Thought i would jump on the back of this thread as the title is same, any i've just put a deposit on a 59 plate milano red CTR GT with Sat Nav + HF with 6K on the clock. what the hell is HF?
my other dilema do i stick with this or go for one of the bargain remaining new ones for 19.5K if i go for the 59 plate it's a saving of 5K and i get sat nav and whatever HF is, but if i go new i have peace of mind, no sat nav + HF but am i right in thinking i would get one with LSD, so decisions, decisions, Help me

The HF is hands free telephone and I believe the 59 plates will come with LSD's too? Somebody correct me if i'm wrong

The HF is hands free telephone and I believe the 59 plates will come with LSD's too? Somebody correct me if i'm wrong

If it was manufactured after April '10 it would have had an LSD, so a 59 won't have as standard.

They were sold as a Type R GT LSD, but I don't know if that went on the V5.

Yep, all the cars with the Honda Nav also have Hands Free Telephone. Has voice recognition and some extra steering wheel buttons on the left hand side.

Thanks guys for the info, ok so is it worth sacrificing the Sat Nav + HF for the LSD, does this Diff make that much difference? just thinking being FWD/ torque steer and all that, not fussed about the Nav and could always get parrot for HF, need to make decision soon Evo goes on Tuesday

I don't think that'll be an issue :lol:

Very true, I've added extra ponies and don't suffer from any. There are chaps running much more power than me and have no issues. No big turbo to give big lumps of torque so the power is much more controllable.

That being said, chaps that have had the LSD fitted do say it drastically improves the turn in and response on cornering.

Changed my mind on the milano red CTR i'm having neither now, Just put the Money down on a very nice Mugen 200, it's got on it what i want, got rid of the triangle zorsts, intended to change the F & R Splitters so there done, and it comes with Graphite wheels [no showey brake dust so much] thats another bonus, just gotta get me ass up to "Bolton" tomos to give it the once over, jobs a good-un

changed my mind on the milano red ctr i'm having neither now, just put the money down on a very nice mugen 200, it's got on it what i want, got rid of the triangle zorsts, intended to change the f & r splitters so there done, and it comes with graphite wheels [no showey brake dust so much] thats another bonus, just gotta get me ass up to "bolton" tomos to give it the once over, jobs a good-un

nice 8)

Excellent! :smt023

I'm about 10 miles from Bolton! :p

Yes coming from "Gordons" Main Honda agents so should be ok, Fingers crossed

Just seen the pics on the other thread. Looks very nice indeed.

We bought our first Honda from there and still use their sister branch in Wigan for servicing the wife's FK2.

Went up yesterday afternoon just to make sure before picking it up seeing how i hadn't seen it in the flesh, great dealership and very friendly [i know they are selling a car] but they were so helpful and friendly well pleased with my decision, the car was their demonstrator done just 3K and is Mint inside and out, Got em to knock a couple hundred off, taxed for 6 Months, Pick it up Thursday afternoon Happy Days!! will post some decent pics when i get 5

Can anyone help please, went to view a FN2 GT over the weekend (07), now I know as standard they do not supply a Ipod connection cable,
so my question is where is the best place to buy one, how easy are they to fit and do they charge the Ipod whislt playing??

On my Ep3 I currently have a Alpine headunit with a Ipod cable routed into the glove box which does charge when playing, can this one be used on the FN2's headunit??

Thanks.

Back