• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Warped Brake Discs?

Hi All,

I have an 08 FN2, with 28'000 KM (18k-ish miles), and just recently I have noticed that when I step on the brakes between 80-100mph (autobahn territory only) I get quite a strong vibration feedback through the steering wheel.

So I'm 99% sure its warped brake discs. But then would the discs on an 18 month old car with only 18k on them really warp?
What could be the causes? Maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks I might get on the autobahn and push 125mph+. But would the heat cycle generated by motorway braking be enough to cause a disc to warp?

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated chaps!

Sean

Oh, and if there are any traders on here who can quote me for a set of uprated discs and pads shipped to Germany, I'd appreciate it!

Uneven pad residue build up, not a warped disc. A skim might cure it, or it should cure itself after a while IMO

I posted a similar thread a while back after a track day. I was getting horrendous banging from the brakes at high speed and Nick said the same to me at the time.

I've tested it on the airfield at work at high speed and it seems fine now. I reckon Nick was right about the pad residue

[edit]that was my thread in the link :oops: [/edit]

Well just to update you all on this. I went in to Honda for the 6 monthly oil change & "mini service".
I explained to them the issue with the brakes. So they had it all to pieces and it seems the discs are shot. Apparently they could see the problem straight away because the face of the disc was "mirrored" & "blue". So at some point they have over heated and gone wrong!

So new discs and pads all round on warranty!

Autobahning and left foot braking has taken its toll...but still its a Type R, you would have thought they would stand up to a bit of punishment?

Mine did that on the track day. They seem absolutely fine now.

Well HASNIC had said it might be pad residue, so I took everything apart and gave the brakes a good scrubbing. But it didnt solve the issue.

When the brakes are cold, you dont notice it so much, but when you've got some heat in the discs its just shocking!

But at least they are sorting it under warranty - top bloke my Honda mechanic!

I was talking to the same mechanic about aftermarket exhaust systems. He was saying hes fitted a few Invidia systems. I have never head of them.
But apparently its a performance centre section for the FN2. So its cat to those little ghey football shaped silencers.
In Germany if you stick a performance exhaust on your car you have to go and declare it on your log book, have an emissions & DB test. But allegedly with this system you dont have to bother with any of that.
I dont think there are any gains to be had with this system, but its supposed to sound awesome.

http://www.tss-tuning.de/onlineshop/index.html
Its not the easiest site to navigate and there is no direct link. On the left click "Auspussanlagen", and then "Invidia Komplettanlagen". Then its the photos at the bottom titled Abb.13 + Abb.14

Well I got my new brakes fitted yesterday. Oh my! Its not until you get a fresh set of brakes you truely realise how knackered the old set really were!

I'm trying to now get into the habit of leaving it parked up in gear rather than using the handbrake...I wonder if leaving the handbrake on hot brakes was a contributing factor!:rolleyes:

I'm trying to now get into the habit of leaving it parked up in gear rather than using the handbrake...I wonder if leaving the handbrake on hot brakes was a contributing factor!:rolleyes:

Yes it would be. That's just a school boy error.

Back