• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Found an EP3, need help with identifying problems

Hello everyone!

Recently I went to test-drive an EP3 (facelift) in my area, and also took it to a pre-purchase inspection.
The car has a lot of miles (300 000 kms), and some mods (ECU, carbon fiber hood, wing and intake, springs, exhaust), which I would've liked to do on it anyway.
Most of the important things checked out, timing chain has been changed, the engine started and went smooth, with VTEC engaging properly. From the inspection it came back, that there was virtually no rust on the car (which was a very big concern, because I live in the north), and during the drive, the chassis felt like it was in a pretty good shape. The owner was also very decent, and I've seen evidence that the owner before him cared very religiously about the car.

What concerns me are the other 2 most common problems, with the gearbox and steering.

Gearbox:
There was no problem with getting it into 2nd gear, even in cold and all the other gears also slotted in without any hesitation and stayed under hard driving as well.
The only thing I noticed that the gear lever has a lot of play. Like a lot, in neutral i could move it like 4-5 cms in each direction without getting any resistance. While driving, it posed no problem, I could find the gears and again, when they were in, the car went like a blast.

Steering:
It felt all right, I know these cars were never famous for their steering feel (this one doesn't have an LSD). I've read that self-centering is a problem sometimes with the facelifted ones as well, and this one definitely tried to work properly, but couldn't center the wheel perfectly, left about 15-30 degrees, which then I noticed was actually the steering wheel's play.

So having never owned such an "old" vehicle or a Type-r before, I'd like to ask you guys, can these plays develop due to the age and mileage of the car, or does it signal some kind of bigger problem?

Thank you very much for your answers!

The gearbox is an easy fix. Get hold of some new shift cables and collars from someone like K Tuned. They’ll take away any of the sloppy feeling and forgotten things up again.
The steering could be the same, worn bushes or steering collar. I think you can get a solid steering collar from K Tuned aswell. It could also be that the car just needs a good alignment. If it has springs, it may be it doesn’t have the extra parts to allow it to be setup correctly. Usually Camber Arms for the rear and Camber Bolts for the front are all that’s needed to get it driving good again. Along with a fast road setup, it should transform the car feel completely. Have a look in the Suspension section on here to find out more detail. Hope this helps ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for your reply! I'm glad this means that almost everything is fine on the car, I'll definitely consider buying it.

The sloppy gear feel could also be the shifter assembly (the ball joint in the EP3 is plastic and can wear, though that might be an indication the car's had a slight rougher life).

Notchiness in second is also a sign of synchro wear, if the other changes don't fix things then the box will need new synchros which is likely not a cheap job since you may as well also do the bearings and seals for a box so old.

Back