• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Fuel for FK2

Yeh I'm okay- must be a song in there somewhere. Still not driven my FK2 yet, shoulder still not 100%, consultant says another 2 weeks before I can drive.
Car running alright with Tesco Momentum (brother just loves driving it) Still don't understand why I cannot use 'ordinary' unleaded at 95 octane, when people/dealers/manual say you can use 95 octane. Why use premium stuff, is it just better for the car long term ?
Numpty Annie when it's about the fuel system.

If you don't know that song. Actually, if you don't know either, you're not old enough to drive an FK2 TypeR.

You can use 95 but, I think you've bought the wrong car if that's your mentality IMHO.

When it comes down to it its a honda engine and will run forever on 95 no problem at all. Think what the honda gye was talking about is to get the car running the best it can the higher octane helps.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hello Bonito
my other car is a peddle car :)
Perhaps you can suggest what car I should have bought ?
:mad: Annie

You bought the right car, i wouldnt worry about it too much to be honest.
Its will run better on the higher octane and the extra spend on fuel should help get more mpg.
Although it depends on the extra cost of the higher octane in your area. The difference is almost negligible at the decent garages in my area

Personally I always use shell v-power. I think this is best for performance engines

I think if you read the post on page 2 of the honda manual it explains why you should use higher octane.

95 is OK but if you only use standard fuel all the time is can result in engine damage in the long term (probably several years down the line). I'd just use v-power or equivalent and you will be safe in the knowledge your engine is running at full power with a clean engine

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
In this country 95 is standard. Don't think you can get 91. Saying that i use the tesco's momentum as its a higher octane than the shell.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If the manual says 95, then 95 is fine. No need to ponder about it...

And hey, who says V-power is any better? Shell themselves? I know why high octane is good, but when they put ehantol in it (as they all do) does that not make it worse? Too much ethanol and the car would run too lean, and the chance of knocking would increase? Though I dont think this may be an issue other than on the track with high temps.

Anyway, dont bother. Just put 95 in it and it will run forever, like any Honda.

Lol don't tell the wife I've spent all this time persuading her we need to use the higher octane.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Why spend money for something you dont need? Fill it with 95+ whenever on the track, to be safe.

Other than that I see no point.

Anyway, dont bother. Just put 95 in it and it will run forever, like any Honda.

I'll second that. I've been running my EP3 on 95 RON for 12 years 130k miles with absolutely no issues. My new FK2 is also getting the standard fuel.

Buys £35k car, quibbles about an extra £3.50 per tank on a performance fuel. Even if you didn't believe the science behind the benefits, why would you not want to fill a performance vehicle with a performance fuel? The owners manual even recommends it; the ability to run on low octane supermarket rubbish (which is inconsistent as it's purchased from whoever is the cheapest at the time) is just a failsafe for when a decent fuel is unavailable.

The mind boggles.

Because there is no such thing as a performance fuel for a normal Civic. If this was a proper racecar then sure, but it's a normal Civic with a turbo on it and some nice gadgets. Im not saying that it's not a nice car. Just that there is no need for a "performance fuel".
If Honda says 95 is OK, its probably with a bit of a margin.

If you tune it by adding more boost (and therefore increase compression) it may be needed. But not as standard if Honda says so.

If the engine knocks it would probably throw a CEL. I just dont think its needed. But it sure doesnt make it worse.

I will use 95+ on the trackdays, but not for the everyday commute. If the manual says 95 or higher then it should do. But it sure does not hurt to run higher if you want to..

Unless you were a part of the calibration team you'll never know, so just stick to what the owners manual states.

My interpretation is that it was setup using 95 RON fuel as that is what the UK / EU market offers, Honda can't guarentee that every buyer will use higher octane even if they did put it in the owners manual (not everyone reads them or listens to the dealer!) so have to play it safe. Yes there will be some scope within the calibration to alter ignition advance if using higher octane fuels. Yes they burn more efficiently, cleanly and produce a smidge more power, but nothing like a ECU that's been remapped.

Buys £35k car, quibbles about an extra £3.50 per tank on a performance fuel. Even if you didn't believe the science behind the benefits, why would you not want to fill a performance vehicle with a performance fuel?
Nail on the fooking head! Along with these people who then buy cheap tyres when the expensive continentals wear out after 5k miles. Why buy a performance car if you're not prepared to pay for the bills of one? Go buy a Golf diesel.
Edit. I know why, they're all on PCP :p

Buys £35k car, quibbles about an extra £3.50 per tank on a performance fuel. Even if you didn't believe the science behind the benefits, why would you not want to fill a performance vehicle with a performance fuel? The owners manual even recommends it; the ability to run on low octane supermarket rubbish (which is inconsistent as it's purchased from whoever is the cheapest at the time) is just a failsafe for when a decent fuel is unavailable.

The mind boggles.

Supermarket fuel is derived from the same base components as any branded fuel.

It's the additional additives your paying for, or should I say overpaying for.

These additives cost around 0.24ppl, yet the premium markup tended to be 6-8ppl premium.

It is absolutely proven that these additives work, however that's a hefty 'Marketing markup'.

Back