• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Full door respray or touch up?

Hey all,

just wanted to get opinions on my situation. Basically, long story short, the wind caught my door the other night and blew it out my hands and into another car as i was getting out.

I never noticed till this morning that it slightly bent about 2-3 inches of the edge of the door inwards. I was able to get it back straight today and all lining up properly as it was nothing really. The only trouble im having is that the impact/bend cracked the paint right through.

So i went to the paint shop and the guy said to get a full door resprayed for colour matching at £160. Or i have the other option of touching up the small area where the paint cracked and blending it in myself. What would you guys do?

It just seems the tiny area affected doesnt jusify a full door respray. Any tips on touching up too?

EDIT: before anyone thinks i walked away from the guys car, i told him and am getting it sorted for him :).

get another door or mobile dent repair ?

I actually concidered the cost of a new door. If i am able to get a door in NHB then i might get away with it, but would be worried about the condition of the paint, at least a spray would be brand new.

I will get pics up early tomoz so you guys can see what i am speaking about. Also concidered the mobile dent guys as they touch up all the time, but im sure there is a call out fee just for the quote which kinda puts me off.

As this is my new car and because of the current condition of it, i dont want to touch it up and look garbage. The rest of the car is pretty much mint.

I know its too late now and I hope it doesn't happen to you again, but next time slightly warming up the paint (e.g. with a hair dryer) before you bend the panel will help avoid any cracking.

I know its too late now and I hope it doesn't happen to you again, but next time slightly warming up the paint (e.g. with a hair dryer) before you bend the panel will help avoid any cracking.

Well it cracked on the impact :p Not when i bent it back lol. Thanks for the advice though, will keep that in mind.

Also, heres the pics. Excuse the dirt >.<. (Getting cleaned today)

DSCF0107.jpg
DSCF0108.jpg

This will need to be filled and resprayed mate. Although you said you've bent it back, it is almost impossible to bend it back to how it was before, especially in that position. Chances are there will be some high or low points that can show up if you resprayed it as it is. PDR technicians may be able to help if the paint wasn't damaged but as it is damaged, you're better off having it filled and resprayed. I've repaired far worse on NHB so this should be a doddle. Being black, its fairly easy to colour match as well.

Having said that, if you're not a perfectionist, I would be tempted to just touch up, flat and polish.

The paint's cracked because the metal has been stretched, just get the whole door resprayed.

Having said that, if you're not a perfectionist, I would be tempted to just touch up, flat and polish.

yeah, well i decided im gonna get it booked in and the door to get sprayed :). Want it done properly and not just a touch up quick job. Was thinking of the touch up cause i might have gotten away with that with good results, but if it wont look 100% then i wont be happy. I dont like half-arsing things :p

Back