• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Garry's 251.1bhp 181.6lbft Cosmic ep3 - kpro, rota, BBK, skunk intake

Another update,

got out the car mapped with new intake and throttle body combo

Before
20141025_144640_zpshqls3lne.jpg

after
20141025_144648_zpsp2vldlts.jpg

you can see the curve on vtec has changed a bit, car feels far more alive now. Sounds nuts too!

However now the restrictive part is the stock exhaust manifold, I didn't want to change this as the skunk exhaust is very loud already. Therefore I decided to purchase these goodies last week

20141024_081912_zps1gmtjj2c.jpg

above;
- tegiwa race manifold
- tegiwa cat back exhaust
- genuine honda jdm front anti rollbar
- genuine honda manifold gasket
- genuine honda manifold nuts/bolts to cylinder head
- genuine Honda gearbox oil, (has been on my to do list for a while and finally got round to doing it)

All fitted,

20141025_144925_zpsa7eayfjc.jpg

thoughts so far are I love the fact everyone in a 2 mile radius cannot hear me! Car feels much better with the manifold. did a bit of research and I'm happy with the exhaust as now all I can hear is the engine, plus it will be track friendly again.

thanks for looking

Good additions. :smt023

Another mapping session booked to accommodate the exhaust changes then?!

Good additions. :smt023

Another mapping session booked to accommodate the exhaust changes then?!

yes of course, the old manifold was preventing me getting the most of my intake so I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I will book tdi north when I know my work hours. I much prefer the noise the car makes now, the skunk megapower was very loud

pic I haven't uploaded of my new head cover with seals ive had for ages. I will fit soon hopefully.

20141025_145101_zpsg1shebvf.jpg

I also forgot about this, fitted it this morning when I had 5mins. I'm quite impressed with the feel to be honest of the extra weight. Good value for money mod
20141025_144417_zpsxj9q9bme.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yes of course, the old manifold was preventing me getting the most of my intake so I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I will book tdi north when I know my work hours. I much prefer the noise the car makes now, the skunk megapower was very loud

pic I haven't uploaded of my new head cover with seals ive had for ages. I will fit soon hopefully.

20141025_145101_zpsg1shebvf.jpg

I also forgot about this, fitted it this morning when I had 5mins. I'm quite impressed with the feel to be honest of the extra weight. Good value for money mod
20141025_144417_zpsxj9q9bme.jpg
Any chance you could tell me where you got the skunk gear knob from and how much mate thanks.

car should really open up once its mapped up for that exhaust mani......any trackdays booked up ?

Nice. That's a healthy looking curve.

What do you think about the quality of the tegiwa system? I was impressed with the Skunk2 knob too, great little pocketmoney improvement.

car should really open up once its mapped up for that exhaust mani......any trackdays booked up ?

i hope so, going the new manifold will help out, as long as it drives and feels better I am more than happy for now

no trackdays booked yet as I keep spending cash on the car. I will start in the new year I think as there's a couple more bits I want to get done.

Thanks Garry. And what track days do most people here go to?

the local one to me is outon park. I used to go to cadwell a lot before I moved house for my new job a couple of years ago

Nice. That's a healthy looking curve.

What do you think about the quality of the tegiwa system? I was impressed with the Skunk2 knob too, great little pocketmoney improvement.

thanks, doesn't look like a huge difference on the curve but the surge I now get in vtec with the new skunk intake manifold & tb etc manifold is far better than before

the tegiwa system is a lot better quality that I thought actuality, fitament is also good.

the main thing I like about it is the noise, or should I say lack of noise compared to the skunk megapower system.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting how much the little changes can affect these cars. I've never owned a car that is so sensitive to minor changes, it's incredibly addictive.

I'm looking forward to a reduction in volume too, tegiwa cat back is certainly a candidate. Or, sometimes I love the excessive volume it has now. ****. I don't know. Are you missing the noise?

It's interesting how much the little changes can affect these cars. I've never owned a car that is so sensitive to minor changes, it's incredibly addictive.

I'm looking forward to a reduction in volume too, tegiwa cat back is certainly a candidate. Or, sometimes I love the excessive volume it has now. ****. I don't know. Are you missing the noise?

i much prefer the sound it is now where I can mainly hear the engine

i would highly recommend going quieter in my opinion, you also draw less attention which is a big plus

I agree with everything you just said.

I may have to aim for the middle ground, sometimes volume can be as liberating and gratifying as screaming obscenities to the wind. You have the intake volume to compensate I guess. That thing must ROAR at wot now!

Update, car is booked at tdi North again this Thursday

also managed to do a little work on the car tonight and got the head cover fitted that I've had for months. I now have a full set of bolts on the spark plug cover at last!

20141103_190931_zpsuvuu9jjz.jpg

I agree with everything you just said.

I may have to aim for the middle ground, sometimes volume can be as liberating and gratifying as screaming obscenities to the wind. You have the intake volume to compensate I guess. That thing must ROAR at wot now!

i will upload a video of my car on the dyno last time and this Thursday so you can see the difference in noise. Yeah the intake does sound brilliant in my opinion

garry

Great mods mate! I'm looking to put very similar mods on my facelift NHB ep3.
Not sure weather it's worth going for the skunk inlet mani over the rbc 70mm!! The only thing that makes me steer towards the skunk 2 is the need to cut up the slam panel for the rbc fitment. Also does the skunk fuel rail give any added gains over the stock?

Evening gents, apologies for the late update, car has had a bit more progress compared to my last update.

so I took the car the tdi north as mentioned, see below;
20141202_210755_zpsegr1kmuq.jpg

basically the car gave around 5bhp more peak but curve remained fairly consistent, car drove a bit better. You can see the previous power run of the car in the red dotted line below the solid red line. However I spent some time talking to Paul and his boys at tdi and decided the only way forward to get the most out of my car was to change the exhaust, yes again!

so 5 days after this mapping session the car was in yet again to have tdi North fit one of their 3inch systems. See results below after picking the car up the next day.

20141202_210823_zpscx5rwex9.jpg

now the car has made an additional 14bhp on top of before. If you look at the curve now comparing before and after there is a massive difference across the whole range. I am staggered with the results considering I have only changed the exhaust. I cannot fault the service from tdi North and I am more than happy with the results

car now pulls like a train and the roar from the intake now it's working closer to its potential is savage.

Back