• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gave the car a good clean while the weather was nice!

Could be a little long so bare with me!

So seems the weather was gorgeous over the bank holiday weekend (rare occasion in Wales) I decided to have a go at clay baring and DA machine polishing (never attempted these before). I was using Autoglym for a while but decided, after watching loads of vids and reading up, to use Meguiars products. I used Meguiars in the past but due to circumstances for a while was using what I could afford.

I've always kept my cars clean and tidy and usually get good comments but, tbh, only used what I could afford in terms of polish and wax. I really wanted to have a go at a 5 stage detail on my car and bought the products I needed (cost a small fortune!).
The products where:

1. Meguiars Nxt Gen car wash
2. Meguiars Clay kit
3. Meguiars Ultimate Compound olish
4. Meguiars Deep Crystal polish
5. Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0

I also bought:

1. Meguiars Plast RX and Ultimate Trim Restorer
2. DA Polisher from cleanyourcar.com with Meguiars polish and waxing pads

My bodywork, even though it was clean, was rough to touch and had swirls etc so this was definately needed.

I've been getting them ready for a few months buying a bit at a time (I haven't won the lottery lol!) and doing little bits.

This time I could not afford Meguiars alloy wheel cleaner, tyre stuff or glass cleaner (will get them next time), but I had some Autoglym wheel cleaner and fast glass and after cleaning out the shed found some rubber tyre shine from years ago which was given to my dad by a valeter he knew, so this would do for now.

I usually use Gunk for the engine bay but used Megs engine cleaner and dressing. Pics can be found here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?67801-How-to-clean-your-engine-bay/page5

I used the trim restorer and Plast Rx when I did the interior a few days before I cleaned the outside. The trim restorer was messy but lasts longer than your usual back to black and don't leave streaks. I could have topped it up but only went over it once.

The Plast RX I decided to get instead of the headlight restore kit. My drivers side headlight was showing the usual signs of oxidation etc. This stuff was hard to use but cleaned them up really well. You can still see some marks with close inspection but try this before the restoration kit, it could save you time and money.

So for the interior I've always been a sucker for dash shine. As most of you probably know it leaves the dash greasy etc so I am so glad I found and used Meguiars interior detailer and Natural shine! (I don't mean to make this thread sound like a sales pitch for Meguiars by the way I just find their products really good!). This stuff cleans it and shines really good and is not greasy to touch. So a pic of the interior:

MeguiarsInteriorDetailerCleanerAndNaturalShine_zps3fa1789a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So for the outside! Wow I was cream crackered after this :lol:!

My method:

1. Cleaned wheels with alloy cleaner
2. Cleaned car using 2 bucket method
3. Dried car with blade and, you guessed it, Meguiars water magnet towel
4. Clayed the car
5. Got out DA polisher and used Ultimate Compound
6. Second polish using Deep Crystal polish
7. Waxed using Tech Wax
8. Finished with glass cleaner, tyre shine and cleaned tailpipes with autosol.

So took all day and bucket loads of sweat! Got a t-shirt suntan but had radio 1's big weekend on the go so loving it, really felt like summer was here!!!

Cleaning and drying was easy, Claying, seems it was my first time, was easy and I did not realize the difference this made I was amazed!

Polishing was hard work, it's best to do this in the shade or on a cool to touch surface but for me it was in direct sunlight and bleeding boiling! This made polishing extremely hard work as it was going off too quick so lots of elbow grease was required to get it off. Waxing on the other hand, I'm so glad, was a piece of **** just glided off. Then the last bit was relaxing. Like a cool down after a gruelling workout lol!!!

So I stood back admired my work and wow :D. I run to get the camera and after uploading the pics I was amazed at the colours and reflections that came through. You could really see a shimmer in the paint and the blue fleck.

So sorry for the long thread but thanks for reading now for the pics! (Sorry about my folks and missus getting in the way!)

MeguiarsDetail3_zps8efbdd06.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
MeguiarsDetail6_zps4b60af8c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
MeguiarsDetail5_zps8f093bca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
MeguiarsDetail7_zpsf3274e66.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
MeguiarsDetail8_zpsa7d0e63f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
MeguiarsDetail1_zps167f58e9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
MeguiarsDetail_zps08aeb55e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now for some reflections.

MeguiarsDetail11_zpsfc7e83ff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
MeguiarsDetail12_zpsfa59c1c9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
MeguiarsDetail10_zps7182adc6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
MeguiarsDetail9_zps36954fa1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So there you have it again sorry for the long thread, but thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed :D!!!

Good job. Nice deep shine.

I cant help but notice it looks like you're wearing leg warmers in the reflection of the boot?... Explain your self... :lol:

Cheers guys, got the hang of the DA polisher quite quickly.

As for my 'leg warmers' they are a winter favourite lol, Na they are called wacky socks (rugby socks although I wear them for goalkeeping) you can get them in all colours. I bought them because I do a bit of goalkeeping coaching now and again and still train with some of the boys. The younger ones think I'm nuts but it works when I need to get inside their heads when coaching (a theory of mine). They are a bit of fun! I get great comments and the missus gets jealous of them :lol:

Wow that is massively impressive !! What an amazing shine ...

Between your stages of claying, polishing and waxing, did you wash/rinse??

Nice job, really brought out the flake pop....but FFS, bin the drying blade! :lol: Use a drying aid and the towel, or rinse with an open hose, will sheet the water reducing the amount on the car.

Ha cheers guys, I find the water blade O.K, I was concerned at first but it doesn't leave marks or anything and really does help, It's a sun trap where I live (when we get it lol) and drys so quick which leaves crappy water spots.

I didn't rinse in between washed/dried, clayed, first polish, second polish, waxed, job done! As said I was knackered after this and lost about 2 stone in sweat lol!!! But worth it.

I just keep on top of it now using quick detailer/ spray wax and it still comes up amazing!

Car maybe up for sale soon :(, I'm considering getting on the property ladder so may need to sell it to go towards my deposit but still in early stages yet going to look at 2 houses on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice job,your car looks identical to mine! im a big fan of meguiars too,try the ultimate liquid wax,it gives a top shine and great durability

Thanks, yeah I had a free sample of the ultimate liquid wax I used it on my dad's bike I said I would treat him and do his bike and the results on that were really good too! I spend a fortune on Meguiars products got loads left over at the moment I'll upgrade to the ultimate range when my stuff runs out.

Back