• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 GEAR BOX PROBLEMS FK2 TYPE-R

Would suggest going to the dealer and making sure they know this problem has been identified in other fk2's and that you're aware Honda uk have paid for syncros to be replaced.

Could be a syncro issue. I know there has been a few claims made against 2, 3 & 5th gear syncros.

Under the assumption that the clutch is not at fault and that there is no driver error, the only reason it would crunch hard is the syncro not doing it's job quite right - especially as it's only when going into 2nd. You'd hope Honda would replace it without any grief seen as others have had the same issue.

I've had the car three weeks and until I've diagnosed the fault and can make it perform the fault on demand I'm holding back on taking it to the dealer. Don't trust them enough to just give them the car and say it has 'some kind of' gearbox fault. They'll have an excuse to go out on a long long razz. Want them to get to the point quickly and effectively.
Bottom line is the cars meant to be driven hard. If it can't perform it's not suitable for purpose.

What is causing it to be 'not quite right' is anyones guess, and diagnosing it without some disassembly could be difficult. It's hard to say it's not fit for purpose if you can't replicate the fault on demand. But I'm 100% with you on not handing it over without a defined fault, even if I'd be willing to bet it's the syncro.

What I find so strange is that it's happening in different gears on different cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yip i have this issue, when i tried to put it into second gear it simply would not go and made a grinding noise(yes the clutch was fully engaged) first time i though WOW all those years of driving and i cant change a gear, the second time it happened i knew it was an issue:(, spoke to a few guys that where driving FN2's and they said honda has issue with its Gear synchro's.

So off to the dealer i went, They sent out head office guys(Honda South Africa) and they had another FK2 to do a drive comparison, they had the car for two days(gave me a rental while they did there tests) , and confirmed that there is an issue with the gearbox, they will replace the gearbox under warranty:). They also mentioned that there have been a few cases of this issue but mine was the first for South Africa. They said they are going to take my gearbox and preform a root cause analysis and see what is the issue and depending on the issue they might release a field fix if its a design issue , they are worried as this gearbox is also used in the New Type R.

My Millage is 24k, and i use the car as a daily and is 100% stock

My point is if you are having this issue do not hesitate to take it back to the dealer and ask them to check it out, if they say nothing wrong escalate to your Honda head office in your country and get some real tech's out to have a look. ;)

I have same problem with gearbox. I sent car to the dealer but they reject warranty request. After that i wrote to Honda Turkey but also they reject the warranty. How can it possible that in one country they change whole gearbox and another country they want money from customers to repair it!!!!

I have same problem with gearbox. I sent car to the dealer but they reject warranty request. After that i wrote to Honda Turkey but also they reject the warranty. How can it possible that in one country they change whole gearbox and another country they want money from customers to repair it!!!!

Hi Nazima,

Sorry to hear you having issues with Honda Turkey, it can be extremely frustrating when paying for such an expensive car , and then when something goes wrong the dealer and Honda refuse to assist to fix the issue.

I'm no Expert in Turkey law, but just a few questions to help clarify the issue and help you move forward on your issue

1) Confirm if your car still has a manufacturer warranty, sometimes if you buy a car second hand the previous owner could have voided your warranty.
2)Contact Honda and request a copy of the Vehicle warranty. Read over your warranty and confirm that you yourself as a owner are not in breach of any of the terms and conditions of your warranty agreement.
3)once you are 100% certain that your warranty is still active, write a letter to Honda Turkey and request them to supply a reason that they do not wish to fulfil your repairs.

4) And this is where it gets to the hard part, depending on the laws of your country and the legal mechanisms in place, Most consumer protection laws require the owner of the car to prove that the current issue was not caused as a result driver error/abuse. This can be very difficult given the only why to prove this would be to open the gearbox and inspect the route cause of the issue , thereby removing the warranty:(

This can also be an expensive task and also very time consuming, once you have this proof you would then need a lawyer to take action against Honda. This is very long process and generally leads to you spending more money than the original quote of 3000$ to fix the gearbox

This is why many countries have a "consumer protection act" in place so that disgruntled consumers like yourself who are being pushed around, can use these systems to report and take effective action to protect your rights.

In the UK they have the "themotorombudsman.org" And in South Africa we have "miosa.co.za" that can help us enforce our legal rights.

I would advise doing some research on the details of your local law and how it applies to your situation and if you have the equivalent to the above organisations to help assist you with solving your issue.

With the right knowledge the Law can be used in your favour.

Otherwise if your warranty is void , take your car down to your local tuner and ask for some advise and prices to get it repaired, they will probably do a better job anyway and for cheaper:cool:

Sorry I cant be of much help as I truthfully feel your frustrations

Hi Nazima,

Sorry to hear you having issues with Honda Turkey, it can be extremely frustrating when paying for such an expensive car , and then when something goes wrong the dealer and Honda refuse to assist to fix the issue.

I'm no Expert in Turkey law, but just a few questions to help clarify the issue and help you move forward on your issue

1) Confirm if your car still has a manufacturer warranty, sometimes if you buy a car second hand the previous owner could have voided your warranty.
2)Contact Honda and request a copy of the Vehicle warranty. Read over your warranty and confirm that you yourself as a owner are not in breach of any of the terms and conditions of your warranty agreement.
3)once you are 100% certain that your warranty is still active, write a letter to Honda Turkey and request them to supply a reason that they do not wish to fulfil your repairs.

4) And this is where it gets to the hard part, depending on the laws of your country and the legal mechanisms in place, Most consumer protection laws require the owner of the car to prove that the current issue was not caused as a result driver error/abuse. This can be very difficult given the only why to prove this would be to open the gearbox and inspect the route cause of the issue , thereby removing the warranty:(

This can also be an expensive task and also very time consuming, once you have this proof you would then need a lawyer to take action against Honda. This is very long process and generally leads to you spending more money than the original quote of 3000$ to fix the gearbox

This is why many countries have a "consumer protection act" in place so that disgruntled consumers like yourself who are being pushed around, can use these systems to report and take effective action to protect your rights.

In the UK they have the "themotorombudsman.org" And in South Africa we have "miosa.co.za" that can help us enforce our legal rights.

I would advise doing some research on the details of your local law and how it applies to your situation and if you have the equivalent to the above organisations to help assist you with solving your issue.

With the right knowledge the Law can be used in your favour.

Otherwise if your warranty is void , take your car down to your local tuner and ask for some advise and prices to get it repaired, they will probably do a better job anyway and for cheaper:cool:

Sorry I cant be of much help as I truthfully feel your frustrations

Firstly thanks for your advises and help. I am sure that my warranty is valid because i am the first owner and i don't do any modification except exhaust but exhaust can't brake all warranty. It seems that i should talk a lawyer and see what will happen.

I’ve just got my FK2 from local main dealer, it’s 12 months old and has 5k on the clock.

I’m made up with it but have noticed some occasional reluctance to snick in to 4th gear, almost required a double-clutch move to get it to go in - completely in contrast to the beautiful gear action on it has for the most part.

Think I’ll report it to the dealer just to make him aware.

I’ve had loads of Honda motorbikes over the years and these all proved absolutely bomb proof, so I just hope the dealership doesn’t let me down if it goes bang.

Back