• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox / Bearing / Tranny Question

Hi,

I don't know a great deal about cars but I sure as hell know nothing about transmissions...

EP3's done 140k. Still going amazingly strong. Clutch recently replaced. I have noticed recently that when the car idles, you can hear a slight rough noise in the box. The noise goes when you step on the clutch. When you let it out again, you can hear the noise. If you hold the clutch around the biting point, you can hear the bearing spin up and spin down - that is if it is a bearing....

Is it the input shaft bearing?

If I get this replaced, could it potentially resolve some other small issues I am having with my gearbox? The issues are very small amounts of whining in 2nd and/or 4th...

If I buy a box of Ebay will it come with the part I need - would it be an idea to replace this anyway?

Thanks....

My ep3 has done as you described from 34k miles to present 100k including a clutch replacement at 80k. I think it's a release bearing issue, I think most if not all of them do this. I heard no change when I replaced mine anyway.

As for the whining, it could be a damaged cog? Strange that it's only 4th and 2nd. Is it more apparent under load or coasting, or the same regardless??

I think I am just going to get a second hand box with relatively low miles...

The whining doesnt bother me but I know it is unhealthy and needs sorting! It seems to be more so when cold and under load... If anyone has a box for sale with less than 70/80k then I would be very interested!

fair do's. I can live with it. Maybe I should just get the input shaft bearing done?
Then at the same time it may be worth getting a re-build???... I heard someone on civic-life say that rebuilt boxes are never as good as factory ones... OK, is anything as good as when it came out the factory?
Just don't know what to do for the best and for my pocket!!!!

Back