• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Gearbox Oil

Anybody got any ideas why a Honda main dealer when I asked for 3 litres of MTF Gearbox oil, the dipshit told me I really needed to buy 10W-40 Semi-Synth if I planned on changing it? :confused:

Is there something I don't know about Honda's super duper engine oil, or is it (as I suspect more than a tad), the guys talking a huge amount of the hairy ones and doesn't have a clue what he's going on about.

I've only ever had one car that used engine oil for the gearbox, and that's the old skool Mini, 'cos the engine and gearbox aren't separate.

A little update;

I've since spoken to another dealership who told me the same thing.

Obviously I queried this, but it seems as though Honda have stopped making/using MTF fluid and just use 10w 40 engine oil.

Exactly, that's what I thought!

Anybody elase heard of this one, or enquired about it?

If you've not checked with your dealer and had the g/box oil changed recently you may have had 10w-40 semi synth engine oil put in your car. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'd imagine it'll breakdown quicker and put wear the gearbox faster.

I know oil has come on a lot in recent years, but I'm sure specifically formulated oil, at the correct weight, with the correct properties and additives would be better suited than oil that has been formulated for use in the engine.

I'm I being paranoid?

...and where can I get Honda MTF oil from?.. if not from Honda themselves! :confused:

Could Alan Day Honda (in the Traders section) source you some MTF then you could get Kwik Fit/independent garage to quickly put it in for you?

If not, then Oilman (Guy) from Opie Oils could get you Amsoil gear box oil which is what I am running at the moment.

I find it plausible that engine oil would be fine in the gearbox but it really is not designed for that sort of use.

:confused:

Back