• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

GEARBOX PLUG CATASTROPHE

So yesterday my car blew lots of white smoke out the back and then the gearbox sounded like it had imploded!!!

upon further inspection it would appear the Drain Plug for the Gearbox had pinged of and drained the box of fluid.

Luckily I wasn't to far from home so nursed it home.

this morning in the great British rain I jacked it up and filled it up with Honda Gearbox Oil.

when putting a new gearbox plug into the box it wouldn't tighten SOMEONE HAD RUINED THE THREADS!!!

so now she is in the garage having a Helicoil Fitted!!!

hopefully get her back tonight!

Fuming!

FCUK!!! Hopefully the box is okay. Might be best to get someone to look over it bud. I know it's a cost but better safe than sorry.

your probably right but was raining hard and I was on my own so opted to coast it home.

seems to be okay anyway no noises from box mechanic rang to say it has a clean bill of health.

new helicoil new bolt new gearbox oil job done.

On the one hand, well done for identifying it was the gearbox etc., lots of people obviously couldn't.

On the other hand, running the gearbox with no oil in it for 200m - I'd rather just walk home in the rain mate!

yes you are all completely right but I didn't know it was the gearbox straight away I was on my way to house had seen the white smoke so just put it into neutral and coasted it to house. should of pulled over and pushed it but luckily I got away with it!

Did your best then mate! Sounds like you've got away with it too. Hope there aren't any repercussions etc!

i hope so to pal,

going to get booked into either Grinspeed or TDI North for clutch and synchros but was hoping to leave it till around Christmas time.

Back