• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

Mate, stop being a fairy. There has been no issues of gearbox grind, overheating or anything on this forum....just buy it, get on with it love it like we are, and if sh1t happens, its got a warranty...
In Europe the cars arrived some months later than US, plus smaller distances hence less mileage. I can not come up with a pertinent reason why US has higher occurrence.

Yeah in theory there is the warranty. In practice however we don't live in a perfect world so your mileage might vary. Check other members experiences(esp Civicx the 2nd grind threads):
- significant number of cases where Honda dealers blame the gear grind on operating errors. Not being able to reproduce the defect(often) comes to support this hypothesis(in their view).
- dealers that believe you but don't do anything concrete other than logging a complaint(often not even escalated to the Honda tech line).
- dealers that had the willing to do something(try fixes, try rebuilding the gearbox, replacing it) but most of the cases no improvement. In some issues got even worse. You open a gearbox, change the worn rings put it back and then the gearbox is worse, how come? Where from this non determinism? Should be a precise thing, it's engineering.
- some cases where owners complaining about gear grind(FlyinGato) were told by Honda Corporate US that they should not have tracked their type R. Plus dealerships that sustained this... I see more and more often lately this commercial practice: implying something about a product but making sure not to mention it explicitly. Track use... right.
This stuttering does not inspire me confidence, although my local dealer swears he did not even hear about these problems.

I see FK8Rs on the street. No matter how bad I crave about one, I won't get one unless they fix this issue(I check the forums daily hoping for even a non official fix). Paying 38k euros and having issues it's above my means.

Let's say the dealer honors the warranty no pb and replaces my gearbox, what do I do once out of warranty? Replace transmission each 2 years? I want to keep the car a longer time(10+ yrs).
Every day I see around business tactics(from insurances, banks up to grocery products) to make a buck out of your lack of attention/ignorance/good will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough! Hope they get a fix then for these issues and one day you will be in a Type r.

Did everyone enjoy top gear? Apart from the "disgusting" and "Hideous" comments didn't she do well!!!

Brilliant episode tonight, not just because the FK8 was on and in a positive light but in general, I'm so jealous of Rory, git!

It would be nice to know what the Civic could do in the dry on the top gear circuit.

I see FK8Rs on the street. No matter how bad I crave about one, I won't get one unless they fix this issue(I check the forums daily hoping for even a non official fix).

Problem you have is that negative comments are more likely to be written about in any product - it’s human nature. Sure I’ve had some issues with the car but...it hasn’t made me question where I spent my money.

The only issue that was car related for me was the issue with the engine management light coming on. Bit of internet and pointing the dealer in the right direction sorted the issue. Other than that it was more due to dealer shortcomings rather than the car for me.

Brake squeal...not too bothered by it really.

wrt Flying Gato and gearbox...to me it felt like he was quick shifting and bypassing the clutch.

I forgot: clutch drag(not being able to clutch completely causes gear notchiness and wears synchros): https://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/clutch-drag-kills-synchros

I missed Top Gear unfortunately :( I must find an UK proxy(anybody knows any?) to be able to watch record on BBC online

Problem you have is that negative comments are more likely to be written about in any product - it’s human nature. Sure I’ve had some issues with the car but...it hasn’t made me question where I spent my money.

The only issue that was car related for me was the issue with the engine management light coming on. Bit of internet and pointing the dealer in the right direction sorted the issue. Other than that it was more due to dealer shortcomings rather than the car for me.

Brake squeal...not too bothered by it really.

wrt Flying Gato and gearbox...to me it felt like he was quick shifting and bypassing the clutch.
Any gear feeling notchy?
I can get over other issues also. Brake squeal I think I can live with it.
Yeah maybe some user error in part. I saw also HondaPro Jason in the grinding video starting to move the lever out of gear before having the clutch fully pressed.

What is Extra Gear?

I have an FK8 on 5.5k. No brake squeak at all and a lovely gearbox. Going to smash it round Silverstone on Sunday. If something goes wrong it’s under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any gear feeling notchy?
I can get over other issues also. Brake squeal I think I can live with it.
Yeah maybe some user error in part. I saw also HondaPro Jason in the grinding video starting to move the lever out of gear before having the clutch fully pressed.

What is Extra Gear?

Mentioned that gearbox not as smooth as the one I had in the EP3. But it’s still better than boxes from other manufacturers.

Extra Gear on BBC3 - more footage generally not shown on the main show. Had the winner of 2011 GT Academy on driving a full sized GTR with a PS4 controller from a helicopter around Silverstone (I think :shock:)

In Europe the cars arrived some months later than US, plus smaller distances hence less mileage. I can not come up with a pertinent reason why US has higher occurrence.

Yeah in theory there is the warranty. In practice however we don't live in a perfect world so your mileage might vary. Check other members experiences(esp Civicx the 2nd grind threads):
- significant number of cases where Honda dealers blame the gear grind on operating errors. Not being able to reproduce the defect(often) comes to support this hypothesis(in their view).
- dealers that believe you but don't do anything concrete other than logging a complaint(often not even escalated to the Honda tech line).
- dealers that had the willing to do something(try fixes, try rebuilding the gearbox, replacing it) but most of the cases no improvement. In some issues got even worse. You open a gearbox, change the worn rings put it back and then the gearbox is worse, how come? Where from this non determinism? Should be a precise thing, it's engineering.
- some cases where owners complaining about gear grind(FlyinGato) were told by Honda Corporate US that they should not have tracked their type R. Plus dealerships that sustained this... I see more and more often lately this commercial practice: implying something about a product but making sure not to mention it explicitly. Track use... right.
This stuttering does not inspire me confidence, although my local dealer swears he did not even hear about these problems.

I see FK8Rs on the street. No matter how bad I crave about one, I won't get one unless they fix this issue(I check the forums daily hoping for even a non official fix). Paying 38k euros and having issues it's above my means.

Let's say the dealer honors the warranty no pb and replaces my gearbox, what do I do once out of warranty? Replace transmission each 2 years? I want to keep the car a longer time(10+ yrs).
Every day I see around business tactics(from insurances, banks up to grocery products) to make a buck out of your lack of attention/ignorance/good will.

Given they are all of the production lines, and it seems to be the American cars that have issues I would say the evidence would point at user error. FlyinGato from what I've seen is a sh*t driver and I would say he has brought his issues on himself.

Given they are all of the production lines, and it seems to be the American cars that have issues I would say the evidence would point at user error. FlyinGato from what I've seen is a sh*t driver and I would say he has brought his issues on himself.

My transmission was replaced as was another chap I know who had only covered 900 miles - he is an elder gent who is a biker also and maintains mechanical sympathy.

I think it is pure pot luck or potential bad batch of gearbox parts.

I had two fk2’s that were both mechanically faultless - and they were 12000 and 13000 miles old respectively when sold on. Yet I read of people having troubles with gearboxes in the fk2 also.

He’s also incredibly annoying and loves a click bait video title, so a lot of his ‘issues’ aren’t really anything.

Well Top Gear certainly put the car in the minds of those not that interested in cars

I had the Postman, the Ocado delivery man and the chap at the petrol station all started with "that's the car from top gear last night isn't it?" which then led to a nice chat and thank fully all agreed it was great looking.....so up yours fatty mat and baldy chris ha...

Well Top Gear certainly put the car in the minds of those not that interested in cars

I had the Postman, the Ocado delivery man and the chap at the petrol station all started with "that's the car from top gear last night isn't it?" which then led to a nice chat and thank fully all agreed it was great looking.....so up yours fatty mat and baldy chris ha...

Nobody is going to tell you it's ugly to your face, it's like when you see an ugly baby, you never tell the parents.

It's a great car, good looking it's not.

Opinions are like a-holes we all have them.

One man’s fruit is another man’s poison.

Like when I first got an ep3 back in 2003 (the good old days on forums when every man and his dog didn’t own one), they were known as breadvan’s due to their shape etc etc.

I love how the looks divide opinion. The first week I had mine a McLaren owner slowed down and pulled along side me on the motorway and thumbsed me up.

FK8 is a great car and what it is is different to all the other boring looking bland hot hatches being built today

Long time lurker of this forum, some great info and advice found...

However after owning an FN2 for 9 years the only replacement suitable was a new FK8, picked it up yesterday, polished metal grey, what can I say... really enjoying it so far, although I did manage to spay myself with fuel when I filled her up last night, need to get use to these capless fuel fillers!

So much to learn, I think I will need to keep this for 9 years until I master all the gadgets and controls.

You love your clicheś mate.

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

Ha, I think we could ask you non FK8 lot the same question. Are you hanging out in 'our' section to convince your good selves not to get one by constantly baiting us and getting reassured from others comments?

Just get one FFS.... :lol:

Back