• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Glass Cleaning

I hope someone can help me out with this one!

I hate cleaning the inside of my windscreen. Its my cryptonite!

I have used all manner of products to clean the the inside of my windscreen. Mr. Muscle, Megs, Windolene, etc etc.
Its not just about the cleaner either, its about the cloth you use to wipe it down with as all.
No matter what I tried I still got the dreaded streaks.

I have just given the AG glass polish stuff a go, and it works very well, but it leaves white dust marks allover the dash, and whilst getting that off I end up touching the glass and marking it, and its a viscious circle!

Can anyone recommend their weapon of choice to me?

all i use is a bit of washing up liquid and a good quality window cloth with one smooth side & one bobbled side.

TBH, I find sprays a pain on the inside. So I use the AG Polish. Trick is, use a very little amount, and do the windscreen in thirds.

Work the product in like a normal polish, until it goes almost clear, leave a minute and wipe away with an MF.

Get some window cleaning gear, A (6")squeegee and lamy

ask your window cleaner where the nearest stockists are

perfect windows every time no streaks at all!!

I was the same with mine until I tried a dry micro-fibre cloth, that's all I use now.

I was the same with mine until I tried a dry micro-fibre cloth, that's all I use now.

Agree. This is the easiest & only way to get a smear free finish unless you want to go down the route of drying with newspaper.

No solutions needed just the cloth and bobs you're aunt! (simples) :D

Seems like is was going down the right route with the AG Glass polish & MF.
I suspect I am using too much of it though!

Driving back to blighty tomorrow night, and I hate it when the street lights reflect off the streaks. It has quite an impact on being able to see!

Thanks for the help guys, much obliged. I'll give it another go.

Sean

I've tried all sorts of cleaning fluids and polishes and they all smear/streak. Dry MF is the only way imo.

Ah right, I misunderstood you Neil. You just give it a rubbing with a MF cloth with no cleaning agent.
Is it a textured cloth or one of the smooth chamoix types?

Ah right, I misunderstood you Neil. You just give it a rubbing with a MF cloth with no cleaning agent.
Is it a textured cloth or one of the smooth chamoix types?

microfiber_microfibre_cleaning_cloth.jpg

Mr Muscle and kitchen roll ftw.

That was my usual approach to it. But within a week or so of the AC blowing at the windscreen the streaks become more apparent, and then the sun shines on it and it appears worse!

I would drive to work grinding my teeth because it was doing my head in :D

I use megs fast glass. Mist onto window, wipe all over with a MF, leave for a few minutes, then buff with a dry MF, perfect every time.

Armor All Glass Wipes, Halfords do a handy little pack, i use 2, one for inside and one for outside including the wipers... Always clean the screen once a week anyway due to the crap that gets blown onto the screen.

Never had any problems with streaks when i have used them.

Mr Muscle and kitchen roll ftw.

+ 1 to Mr Muscle and kitchen roll

Although I use AG fast glass or whatever its called but thats only because Halfrauds had the 3 for 2 deal ;) or more like 9 for 6 in my case.

I think alot of the job is down to the amount of pressure applied when rubbing the glass. If your barely applying pressure when wiping, like when a five year old helps you clean the mirrors in the bathroom, then your just wiping/ smearing the product all over the windscreen, however if you wipe to the extent that after half the windscreen your arm aches(because of the angle) then are you are actualy cleaning the glass.

The cleaner the window/windscreen to start with, the less marked up or reflective it will be.

A good test to see if you have done a good job is, after cleaning the glass, or any glass or mirror, breath over it(or get it steamed up one way or the other) and when it gets misty check to see if you can see wipe marks. If you can see wipe marks or its de-misting in patch's then you have not wiped hard enough. If you see an area slowly demisting form the outside towards the middle, job done, the glass is clean. I hope this makes sense. If not I will demonstarte at a meet. Dont worry, I'll have a stock of fresh mints.

Back