• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Good budget exhaust set up?

i'm not sure if were allowed to post ebay links, but if you type in "civic type r tube" there are a few there, ones currently 20 pounds for a 2.5" sportex b-pipe :) also search "civic type r b-pipe" and theres one there as well :) they will keep popping up on ebay just got to have an eye out ;)

I've found the genuine r8byb ones (new, just put your name on a waiting list) in the for sale section on the ctro forum! £160 posted! Or if you tap into eBay "sportex civic type r exhaust" it comes up with the same pipe but in mild steel for half the price... I'm wondering if both sound the same...

Ahh ash already beat me to that, didn't see the 5th page :p do you know if those sportex pipes match up to the r8byb ones? As £80 vs £160 is quite a difference!

Ahh would love to hear what you think once its on! And would love to see a drive by & static video if you get time to make one? :) are all your other exhaust bits OEM?

I'll do a vid with static, drive by and internal, just as soon as I find the charger for my video camera. I've moved house 5 times in the last 2 years, I have many, many boxes of stuff...

Everything else is oem. I'm crazy busy over the next couple weeks, so bear with me.

personally, i wouldn't have thought there would be much difference in sound, but they might weigh different. Just make sure you find the right diameter as theres a lot of 2" and 2.25" b-pipes out there, especially scorpion and supersprint or unbranded :)

While his kit is good, it is also quite heavy compared to some other brands for the same price.

You need everything you can get going round roundabouts on the ring road. ;)

The exhaust note is pefect mate and it was not any unusually heavy, obviously i i did not weigh the backbox though - maybe shoul dhave done

Lol, i've decided to keep my ctr now and will be buying another unsilenced b pipe haha

glad to hear it mate! you had enough of the derv already?

i ended up buying a spoon N1 to go with the b pipe, its so loud but sounds absolutely nuts when you're giving it some!

Yeah lol. It's just as quick as the ctr, but I drove it the other day and now have to keep it.

Yeah my mate has the spoon n1 and unsilenced b pipe. It's way too loud for me.

whats the difference between the buddy club compared to the spoon n1 system in terms of loudness?

whats the difference between the buddy club compared to the spoon n1 system in terms of loudness?

A true unsilenced B pipe and a Spoon N1 will be loud, as you have no real silencer after the cat. Buddy Club do a few different items.

Spec II - straight pipe all the way to the back (no rear "silencer" - even if the silencer is just a box for tone / volume shaping). Probably the loudest off the shelf exhaust for the Civic.
Spec III - very small centre silencer and a straight through back box, also very loud.
Spec IV - a clever design that muffles at lower revs but becomes a straight through at higher revs. Fairly sensible volume.

The II and III will give you raw touring car tone and volume, the IV is a bit more sensible. I have a custom exhaust on my car, as I already had an unsilenced B pipe so I had Advanced Automotive Systems of Newburn, Newcastle, make me up a backbox that looks like an angled spec III but has a straight pipe running to the tip, so effectively its a Spec II that looks like a III. It's seriously loud. It vibrates the air in your chest as you breathe, and conversation is difficult when you are getting your foot down. It pops and bangs regularly on gear shifts and on the VTEC, the noise can be heard well over half a mile away. It drones like mad too. Most people say it's "too much", and my friends love it but say that they wouldn't want to live with it. I absolutely love it.

I know you live around my way, you are more than welcome to come and have listen to it or come for a quick spin around the block to get an idea of loud. One of my friends used to have an Impreza with a Blitz Nur Spec R, which is one of the louder setups for Imprezas, and my Civic comfortably put his car in the shade in terms of noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q-nyMuMP5c

T
hese 3 cars have Spec IIIs, and I previously suspected they had race manifolds and decats also. After fitting my exhaust, I now realise that an exhaust alone can get that level of volume. Note in particular the clip where they measure the distance you can hear the noise from as the car drives away.

I suppose theoretically, once you remove the silencers and get a straight through, you have reached a "much of a muchness" level of volume where a db or 2 does not matter, you have reached "properly loud" status.

Back