• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Good cheaper tyres

My next door neighbour just bought a fairly new ST3 with 4 new awful firestone tyres on. Most people don't even consider tyres.. complete madness if you ask me.

It's false economy buying 'cheap' tyres anyway as they usually don't last as long.

I've always found cheap tyres last forever as they're rock hard! Our Audi had some greenaway or something on the back, 3.5 years ago I said I'd change them given half an excuse. They're still on there and about 5mm! Got through 2 sets on the front, vredistein and uniroyal.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I've always found cheap tyres last forever as they're rock hard! Our Audi had some greenaway or something on the back, 3.5 years ago I said I'd change them given half an excuse. They're still on there and about 5mm! Got through 2 sets on the front, vredistein and uniroyal.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

So true. I bought a mini years ago with Achilles ATR sports on them. I said I'd change them once they had worn a little more and after 6k of hard driving they'd not even worn by a mm. The car got sold before I had chance to change them. The Vredestein wear ok. The Vorti R ones even more so as they are a softer compound than the regular Vorti apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to check out tyres today and was suggested to buy some 'lassa driveway sport's'.has anyone had any experience with them.the guy said they were made by Bridgestone or in partnership with Bridgestone and they were £115 each fitted
Also a tyre place neAre me has a pair of mint pirelli p zeros for £199 fitted both with 7.5mm on. I really need to buy this week but not many part worns coming up in the 19" size in my price range.

Part worns are a good option when you want to trial a certain tyre but don't want to spend money on a new set to find out they're shizz.

However, keep in mind that the new tyre will behave differently during being scrubbed in, and as it wears down.

If going part worn, get as much meat as possible from a reputable company that X-rays their supply.

Lad at work users part worn tyres. He's out there every day pumping them up. Gone through half a dozen in the past 6 months.

What kind of driving do you do? Do you use the car to commute and is the commute long or is it just town driving? Im all up for getting a decent set of tyres but if you are only pootling round town with the odd blast then get something for around 100 quid. Kumhos or Toyos.

In the end the risk is yours, Toyos are not great in the wet so its probably not a good time of the year for them.

Cue the Toyo haters! :)

NOPE. Cheapest I'll buy for performance is Eagle F1.

Yoko AD048s on the mini.

Dunlop sport Maxx RT2 on the DERV. Because DERV.

What kind of driving do you do? Do you use the car to commute and is the commute long or is it just town driving? Im all up for getting a decent set of tyres but if you are only pootling round town with the odd blast then get something for around 100 quid. Kumhos or Toyos.

In the end the risk is yours, Toyos are not great in the wet so its probably not a good time of the year for them.

Cue the Toyo haters! :)

I've got Kumho's on my EP3.

Never had them before and never would have thought to have bought them but they are decent enough and seem to grip well. Not as good as the Vredestein Sessanta I have on the VXR in the wet but not bad. My boss has just fitted a set to his EP3 and so far so good.

As for Toyo's got them on the wife's Range Rover and they seem fine too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've run budget tyres in the past, on some cars i think they're ok like bog standard 1.4 puntos etc, i had them on my 530D sport and you could tell they weren't as good as a "performance" orientated tyre like a pilot sport, you could tell braking wasn't as good, cornering feel was a bit more numbed, they didn't last long either, probably 6k miles, the torque of the 530D and the occasional drift/powerslide meant they got eaten up pretty fast,

I now have the CTR and the previous owner has put a budget set on and again you can tell it by the way it drives, i bought the car in Feb so the roads were colder and you could tell they were bad in the wet and really cold snaps, the weather then got warmer and up till now i have put up with them and now they need replaced, fronts are on their wear blocks after 5k miles, now looking at either Continental sport contact 5 or Dunlop Sp Sport Maxx RT for the front, if i like the change enough i'll stick them on the back in a couple of months time as looking to also get brakes done this month as well

Eh, those Dunlop’s are ok but I wouldn’t recommend them as a tyre to get the most out of your car. Great wet grip and they last for a good while. Best wearing tyre I’ve used... but dry grip & road feel are mediocre at best.

Eh, those Dunlop’s are ok but I wouldn’t recommend them as a tyre to get the most out of your car. Great wet grip and they last for a good while. Best wearing tyre I’ve used... but dry grip & road feel are mediocre at best.

Well we will soon see, just bought 2 of the Dunlops as blackcircles had them 10% off, Ive seen a few tyre tests when they were included the Dunlops don't do too badly generally in testing, usually just behind the continental sport contacts, wet weather is where the Dunlops excel as you say and oh wait a minute....I'm in Scotland....perfect tyre for the job then.

This might interest you.

So on Sunday I was at Donington Park with the track car. Windscreen frozen first thing to give you an idea of temperatures. Track was damp/greasy.

We began the day on Goodyear AS2's thinking the traffic would dry the track nicely and grip would come to us after a session or two. We were doing okay but the car was twitchy and both my brother and I had moments and he came off the circuit.

In the lunchtime break we switched over to the Uniroyal RS3's and the car was much more drivable with more grip on corner exits.

A few on track were using AD08's, R888's etc etc and watching them dance was thoroughly entertaining!

That's what the colder temperatures do, regular summer tyres don't work well at all below 8 degrees. I was wheel spinning in 4th on the M6 the other day. :lol:

Back