• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Goodridge or HEL? FN2

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade the brake lines on my FN2 in the new year (along with pads and discs) and was wondering what peoples thoughts are with regards to whether to go for the Goodridge or the HEL product. Is there a clear leader or are they much the same?

Thanks in advance.

Ive got Goodridge on my EP3, and they are spot on, but Ive heard that HEL do exactly the same product, or near enough.

I think either will do the job, just find the right deal on them.

DoLuck, HEL and HKS all come out of the HEL plant and are rebranded to suit. The main thing to look for is if they are 6 line kits with new distribution blocks and washers.

Apologies for digging up a old thread but figured it was better commenting here instead of making a new one.

A friend of mine is refurbing his E36 M3 and is presently working on rebuilding the brakes. He's ordered some Goodridge stainless steel braided hoses and I asked him how much he paid for them, around £130 it turned out.

Anyway, I'm getting a brake fluid flush done soon on my FN2 and thought about changing the lines and so went looking. Turns out the Goodridge stuff is sitting at around £270+ for my particular car. My friend did say HEL are worth a look as well and can be got for £140 for a 6 line set with 3 distribution blocks. My question is, are the Goodridge really twice as good as the HEL lines? Thanks.

No not at all. They'll both work the same.

Unless they split, then Goodridge would be infinitely better!

Are HELs prone to splitting then? If so I might just stick with OEM. £270 is too much to stomach for brake lines, sadly.

They used to be, but I've not heard of it recently to be fair. I think they were making the fronts too short or something, and they were rubbing but it had been brought to their attention.

HEL lines are now made under licence by several different companies, so it really depends on the company making them. Tegiwa for instance, make their own HEL lines. They certainly do not all come out of the same factory as goodridge and HKS.

Good to know, thanks. I did read elsewhere on the site to make sure the HEL lines have distribution blocks but those posts are at least 3 years old now. What is the general concensus then on HKS lines? Thanks for all feedback so far, it's much appreciated.

Edit: It would appear HKS don't do braided lines any longer. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fitted HEL lines on my EP3 and had the outer casing split (ever so) after two years. Sorted under warranty with no issues direct from HEL.

£130 + VAT. Better than the goodridge lines but still gutting to find the FN2 versions cost more than the EP3s. Also, bit of a n00b questions but do brake lines count as a mod? As in should my insurance company be let know? Only thought of that this morning if I'm honest.

Yes it is a mod and technically you should tell your insurance. It might even reduce your premium as it's a brake upgrade.

Get the HEL instead of the Goodridge. They are cheaper and made from the same people.

I bought a set of Goodridge because i'm dumb, and they didn't even include the new washers, the ones that go on each side of the screw that holds the line to the caliper.

HEL does include those washers, and are made by the same guys who make the Goodridge. Both brands are made on the same machine.

That was told from an authorised HEL dealer here in Spain.

Once again, HEL are made under licence by several different companies. They do not all come out of the same factory as goodridge, some might, but it will be a minority.

Back