• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 GT Hifi - poor bass (generally poor sound)

Hi all

I really love the super modern feel / engine and exhaust sound / performance (as I run it in anyway) of this CTR. My other car (which I may sell soon) is E46M3 SMG. Had that for 13 years !! I think at the higher revs the M3 still howls like nothing else but ... she's getting on and I want to store her soon (114k miles) - if I don't sell.

This CTR feels like the 21st Century. I have a couple of questions (diff noise being one) but I'm sure the niggles will be sorted by the warranty.

My main issue is the hifi. Now I thought the HK set up in my BMW was poor but it is simply streets ahead of the feeble (11 speakers!! WTF?) thing in my lovely modern hatchback.

I wanted to listen to it on the test drive but ... no CD player (yes I am old). So I assumed 11 speakers would be enough - and a more modern system etc etc - it would be ok (WRONG!!)

I since discovered North America gets a 12th Speaker - a sub. Can this be fitted to UK spec cars? Anyone any experience of easy and 'as OEM as possible' ways to get some decent sound?

As I say I love the car but it would be even better with a bit more in the sounds dept !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard run of the mill car stereo systems generally lack good bass regardless of how you set the controls. I have learned to not anticipate too much from them even when they are advertised as enhanced or upgraded etc.
Ford are exactly the same......the sound is at best acceptable but entirely unremarkable.

From reports across the pond, even that twelfth speaker doesn't add much bottom end, and for the number of components you'd need to make it as OEM as is possible (new amp, wiring loom, original sub, boot lining) I suspect it will not give the quality you are clearly expecting. I think the HU gives a reasonably good sound for newer modern day loudly compressed or remastered content, but it shows up older content which has more peaks and troughs which wasn't as 'normalised' as today's hits.

I would argue that for all the effort and cost to plumb in the OEM sub to marginally improve the overall sound, instead a stealthy, low profile, aftermarket sub with a quality amp paired to good components such as wiring, a decent line level converter, maybe upgrading the door and panel speakers, and if we really want to push the capabilities possibly Dynamat sound deadening, all put in by a competent fitter would give a more thorough sound, be more widely adjustable, and possibly even cheaper.

If you do insist on the OEM, then you could also investigate the 3D sound option which is marketed as a further sound upgrade to the standard system, by adding a digital sound processing plug in box, but which still doesn't include a sub, and is nearly £500. http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/...ult/civic-hatchback-2016-accessories/INTERIOR

or just turn it off, and listen to the sweet sounding engine and exhaust note.......oh hang on...no, that's not right...:lol:

Can't remember the last time I played music in the fk2,
If I'm not using the sat nav then the stereo is always off, was the same in my fn2, prefer to listen to the engine and being a car worrier I like to keep an ear out for anything abnormal

If I'm not using the sat nav then the stereo is always off
I have never used the sat nav in my car....not even to test it out.
I don't usually go places I've not already been before. :D
It might come in useful sometime though. :)

Hi again, thanks for the input here. I'll just get used to the stock sounds and I agree the source of the music seems to make a difference. I'll abandon the OEM sub idea (more weight anyway eh? - guess that's why we Brits missed out on one)..

In the same boat here, I really miss having some bass compared to other car's I've owned. In the states a lot of them have kept the stock sub enclosure but changed the sub out, which would be handy enough if we got it to begin with. I'd like a system similar to stock stealth style but looks like the only way is to DIY fibreglass one together.

I've also seen some mention of switching out tweeters and mids in the doors and not running them off a seperate amp for a slight improvement which I wouldnt mind doing either

Back