• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

GUTTED........gearbox bearing

im having the same problem

hi
im having the same problem with my sport,it makes a grinding noise in about 2000 rpm in 1st gear and bit in low revs in 2nd and seams to be louder in all other gears.i have also noticed that u can hear a noise when its in iddle but goes when u put the clutch in.i have it booked in to a garage for them to have a look but reading up on it and a mate thats a machanic think it might be the input shalf bearings in the gear box if anyone can help i would be most gratefull

yeah, mine has a faint rattling when idling and the clutch is not pressed.
The noise vanishes when the clutch is applied. I was told its clutch release bearing too.

Its been doing it ever since I bought it (or ever since i first noticed it),
15 months now.
Can only really hear it when i park in garage.

It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I'll be dammed if Ill pay honda £1800 to fix it though, I'd rather have the engine out and have a bash myself. :rolleyes:

My 54 plate Civic sport had a whole new set of gearbox bearings last year, thankfully under warranty, it did sound like a whiny rattle of sorts. The garage initially suspected a loose cover, but ended up replacing the lot. Part exchanged for my CTR two months later! :rolleyes:

If the noise go's when the clutch is pressed it's just the clutch release bearing running dry and you need a new one . Other wise if the noise is there under load it could be the first motion shaft bearing on it's way out . But i doubt that for the age of the cars.

Hope this helps.

If the noise go's when the clutch is pressed it's just the clutch release bearing running dry and you need a new one . Other wise if the noise is there under load it could be the first motion shaft bearing on it's way out . But i doubt that for the age of the cars.

Hope this helps.

well if u put the clutch in the noise goes but its also when u start driving usually when you get to about 3000rpm there is a loud like grinding noise

yeah sounds to me like clutch release bearing has dryed up and stopped turning with the clutch.

You will prob need a clutch kit as the bearing will have done damage to the release fingers .

It should be a 3-4 hour job to do right gear box out time.

I would say labour about £250
new gear box oil about £20
plus the price of the clutch kit probably £150 ish
and don't forget the damn VAT on the lot.

I believe the Honda book times for a clutch job on your car is 5 hours and they will rip you off with the labour cost.

Also i think the OEM clutch kit used is a LUK one . You need to ask where you take the car if they will fit OEM clutch kit and if not tell that you want an OEM .

Cheaper after market kits can be a pain with weak springs and can give bad clutch judder . Also wear out far to quick.

Hope that little lot helps.

ok thanks, really im just wanting the problem sorted as im about to sell the car so cheap is what im kinda thinking

The rattle at idle that goes away when you press the clutch in is the clutch release bearing, mine has done that for 9,000 miles, car runs fine.

The cold grinding noise isn`t rare either, my current CTR and the 2002 model I had both done it, both cars are running great. No universal cure for it, i've heard all sorts of theories.

Unless the clutch itself starts failing, I woudn't worry at all about any of the above issues.

Welcome to CTR ownership.

Positive thinking, see, this is life should be! Good man Good man. Always a win-win situation!

Good times = Good memories and Bad times = Good lessons

(My missus VTS done it for over 30K...... come to think of it, still does!:lol: although it does not sound as bad because the water pump is now even louder:D! Now at 85 or so with original clutch, and 'genune' citroen bearing noises!!)

Yeah i understand . Maks for a good selling point haveing the clutch done tho .

I would just put the price of the clutch job onto the asking price of your car .

Yeah i understand . Maks for a good selling point haveing the clutch done tho .

I would just put the price of the clutch job onto the asking price of your car .

Best advice. Will be the only way without actually fixing it.

I know this sounds bad and a little dumb, but it's just business! Depending on the buyer, you could say it 'only' just started doing it, or even, it's doing it since I got it and been fine!

Make sure you get the highest quote possible as this will make the buyer think he/she is getting a much better deal!

However if the car, apart form bearing(s), is in A1 condition it may be worth considering getting it fixed before you sell and make sure you don't mention it! Or if its a high miler, make sure you do!! Its kinda weird advise I know, but personally, I have hardly ever come out of a sale unhappy!:D

Not sure if your even selling the car, but bear this in mind for if or when you do.

yes apart from that its in really good condition and has only done 42k miles so i guess i should get it fixed

Also i think if you sell a car with a problem and don't tell the buyer . And it can be proven you know of said problem ( as in this thread ) you may find yourself in a world of hurt.

The only way around this i know of is to get buyer to agree that the car is sold as seen and sign something to that fact.

Bought my car 4 weeks ago! had it 2 weeks and it's been gone 2!! lol

The garage i bought it from have had it for 2 weeks. 1 week they spent pi55in about doing nothing, and the second week the gear box was reconditioned as they said it is the idle gear bearings. Came back today still doing it!!!! They had the car all that time said they reconditioned the gearbox and the noice is still there.... I couldn't F believe it!

Heat shields have been tightened! And all the brakes and discs have been replaced.

The only thing i haven't done is take off the plastic cover on the engine. it looks as it it rattles slightly, other than that i have no more ideas!!! :(

I know it isn't going back to the shoddy garage i got it from!! I might pay to get it done myself rather then use the warranty.

Back