• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Handbrake cables sticking. (EP3)

At the weekend I decided to adjust my handbrake as it had the stopping power of a harnessed child.

I went to go out in it tonight and the cable on the passengers side is stuck on!

I have released the nut on the lever inside the car. All the way off Until it is on it's last thread and the cable will not return back into the sleeve.

I replaced all of the calipers last year for refurbished ones so the springs for the handbrake should be fine and not rusted solid or seized.

Anyone know what could be stopping the cable from returning back when the handbrake handle is let off?

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

I've got an issue with my rear drivers side caliper, keeps sticking. I'm not sure if it's the piston has siezed or the hand brake cable. I'm replacing my front dics and pads today so will look at the rears to investigate.

I have traced my problem down to the handbrake mechanism that the spring is attached to.

Twice now i have adjusted the handbrake on axle stands to where the wheels only gets drag after one click on the lever and they are free when the lever is completely off. I have taken the car out to a couple of steep brae's (hills) to test the handbrake and on both occasions it held well and free'd off no problem. I park up on the driveway with the handbrake on and when i return to it in a couple of hours the mechanism won't free off. I can hear it creaking from inside the car so i have to get under the car and apply pressure on the mechanism to free it off.

****ing me off big time so i am hopefully going to get a replacement caliper this week as it is still under warranty. MOT in a couple of weeks so i have to get it sorted in time for that.

Get on the calliper with a shed load of WD40 and a set of good pliers. Disconnect the cable first though. This will free up the self adjust mechanism and should get things working again. I had to do it on the Teg for the last MOT.

Cheers NYA I will give it a try after my shift in the morning.
I have went from one extreme to the next with the handbrake and it's starting to do my tits right in.

I thought I solved the problem with the spring on the handle having to be tightened all the way up and still not being able to hold the car by slackening it right of and pumping the brake pedal around 20 times then adjusting the handle bolt only to have this happen when it won't release.

Hopefully the wd40 will free it up a bit and sort it out as it hasn't siezed fully.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

That's okay bud. If you look whee the cable hooks to the calliper, there'll be a little coiled spring. Mine was seized up with crap, I took a little wire brush to it, sprayed loads of WD on it, then just used the pliers to move it backwards and forwards. It worked a treat, and passed my MOT.

Back