• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Harnesses

Harnesses on fixed and/or rigid backed seats designed for harnesses only.

Standard seats fold and crumple when used with harnesses as they aren't designed for the forces that push down on the seat back and are more dangerous than a standard seatbelt in a crash as you end up with a snapped back as the seat folds.

Harnesses on fixed and/or rigid backed seats designed for harnesses.

Standard seats fold and crumple when used with harnesses as they aren't designed for the forces that push down on the seat back and are more dangerous than a standard seatbelt in a crash at you end up with a snapped back as the seat folds.

On a std seat potentially. The FK8's seats are hard backed. Its swings and roundabouts. I'd sooner be in a harness with the FK8 seat than not. Benefits of having a harness & Hans in a crash outweigh any unlikely theoretical negatives IMO

On a std seat potentially. The FK8's seats are hard backed. Its swings and roundabouts. I'd sooner be in a harness with the FK8 seat than not. Benefits of having a harness & Hans in a crash outweigh any unlikely theoretical negatives IMO

On track absolutely but 6 point, on the road Harnesses can be frustrating, restricting your view and ensure they are rock solid tight. I used HANS device when racing it takes a bit of time to get used to but further restricts your view, in the Elise I preferred without because of this, I imagine I would have got used to it, but I ran out of money before I got to that point :(

On track absolutely but 6 point, on the road Harnesses can be frustrating, restricting your view and ensure they are rock solid tight. I used HANS device when racing it takes a bit of time to get used to but further restricts your view, in the Elise I preferred without because of this, I imagine I would have got used to it, but I ran out of money before I got to that point :(

I wouldn't use the harnesses for road - only on track. Hence my view that when teamed with a hans I would sooner be in a harnesses seat any day of the week.

The only problem I find with hans is when joining the race track - apart from that you get used to it

I’d be very surprised if the standard seats would be harness approved.

Firstly you need to check the seats are compatible for harnesses. Just looking at them physically doesn’t mean anything. 9/10 times the holes in the seats are purely for looks. Only Honda or whoever Honda use to manufacture the seat will be able to confirm if they’ve been tested and safe to use with harnesses.
Use of them on the road is a pain. If you wear them loose to help with vision then they’re not safe. Wear them tight and your vision is restricted on the road.
If it’s a car you only use for the occasional drive and for track then they’re helpful. Everyday use I wouldn’t recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avoid using harnesses with standard seats.

The eyelets will be for show rather than go and the hard backs with be a more of a plastic case than a solid frame of a fixed bucket seat

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Fitted harnesses to my DC5. Kept them for about two weeks.

I'm not sure about the safety facts but they're a PITA at junctions.

You don't realise how much you need freedom of movement in day to day driving until you're pinned into your seat.

I can't believe that Honda would make a seat with a very obvious harness fitment and risk people using it only to fold themselves in half in a cartoon death. The legal repercussions would be massive! It would be like fitting a waste disposal in a kitchen, without a guard and saying 'oh no that was only intended to be for aesthetics'. I just can't see Honda risking that.

Similarly harness manufacturers that make fitments specifically for the vehicle, I don't see the legal defence "oh no that specific harness that works with your OEM seatbelts isn't intended to help you in a crash it's designed to fold you in half"

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe that Honda would make a seat with a very obvious harness fitment and risk people using it only to fold themselves in half in a cartoon death. The legal repercussions would be massive! It would be like fitting a waste disposal in a kitchen, without a guard and saying 'oh no that was only intended to be for aesthetics'. I just can't see Honda risking that.

Similarly harness manufacturers that make fitments specifically for the vehicle, I don't see the legal defence "oh no that specific harness that works with your OEM seatbelts isn't intended to help you in a crash it's designed to fold you in half"
I'm sure it was a focus RS that did exactly that, holes for show that were incorrectly used with harnesses and it broke the drivers back when involved in a crash.

I'm sure I have heard harnesses with fixed bucket seats and a roll cage only, safety first and all that.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Because OE manufacturers provide seatbelts and restraining devices designed to be used in a road car.

I'm pretty sure if you look at the small print on a set of harnesses you'll see a disclaimer saying for race use only or something similar

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There are specific harnesses for road use. They have to use a single buckle with a red button to release the mechanism.
The FIA approved harnesses with multiple buckles aren’t road legal...
Theres plenty of ‘functional’ components on a car that are just for looks. Like the wing vents on the Type R that don’t actually have any holes to vent.

If that's the example of why harnesses should not be used with standard seats its not a good one. Those seats have harness points at completely the wrong angle as is detailed in the replies, the harnesses look badly fitted, and the crash looks horrific.

Civic seats have the harnesses at the correct angle.

Stating that the Civic has wings that are non functional isn't the same as having holes in a seat that allude to being able to be used for harnesses, at the correct angle and height

I'm not saying that ALL seats are suitable for harnesses - the focus ones above are evidently not. But equally all standard seats can't be defined as UNSUITABLE based on the above.

I'm not trying to be a pedant just trying to get a balanced view on whether harnesses can be used

As I said previously. Only Honda or the seat manufacture will be able to advise you correctly.

Personally I would prefer to get the appropriate seat to work with harnesses. Then I'd want a roll cage too. Not something I'd want in a road car to get to and from work in my opinion.

Only the seat manufacturer can tell you. Some harness manufacturers will tell you which seats have been tested. I’d be willing to bet money that the OEM seats are not tested.

Most people who fit harnesses generally don’t have a clue and in most cases end up being more dangerous than a regular three point setup.

Back