• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Headlights keep blowing!!!!

Constantly, every couple of weeks. Alternating between left and right.

Any ideas as this is driving me crazy!!

Strange, I was just about to put a simalar post on here.

Set off from South Wales this afternoon when it went dark I realised that both my headlights had gone and one of my side lights.

I ended up driving all the way back to Chester with my full beams on!!! I just rubbed mud on the outside so I didnt constantly get flashed.

Any ideas what could be causing this. cant be a fuse else the side light wouldn't still work would it???????

Honda fitted the last bulb so I was sure it was done properly. I have got the Brilliant White bulbs from Halfords. Could these be causing the problem do you think?

What bulbs are you using Pero?

I've tried different bulbs from different places, ranging from £2.50 a bulb to £6.35, but they still keep blowing. I never touch the glass part of the bulb when I fit them.

Strange thing is, it never used to do this when I bought the car new - only started about 2 years ago, and I must have replaced the bulbs 20 times!!! Sometimes they last 2 months, and sometimes 2 days. There must definitely be an issue somewhere, maybe wiring, so I'm thinking of doing the HID conversion. I really hope that will sort it out.

When I asked my Honda dealer what they thought, the guy said it's because I don't buy "genuine Honda bulbs", so I rang a different Honda dealer, and they said it's the normal bulbs you can buy from Halfords. Figures...

Strange thing is, it never used to do this when I bought the car new - only started about 2 years ago

That is exactley what happend to me, had the car from new, bulbs must have lasted 2-3 years and then when I replaced them the longest one has ever lasted must be a 4 months.

Booked into the dealership this morning so will see what happens. I would bloody love the HID conversion but is that potentially opening myself up to more probelms?

Cheers

I would put in a fresh bulb,
Switch on the power.
Test voltage at each bulb.
Even a half volt can make big difference in bulb life.

Friend had this problem in a clio, turned out it was down to this fact and it blew sidelights and main bulbs every other week. Might be worth a diagnostic check with an auto electrician, and check the fuse hasnt been replaced with a higher one :D might sound stupid but if its the right one the fuse will blow instead and cheaper to replace.

Best of luck

Just got "the call" from Honda, they said they checked the electrics and found no problems.

They recon that the bulbs might have just gone one by one and I didn't notice until both my headlights went.

3 bulbs in the front is going to cost £50!! :eek:

They also told me that one of the bulbs for the rear number plate has blown but that was only £21!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:.

Got them to fit the front 3 and I'll have a go at the back myself. I wanted to get Honda to fit both headlights so I could see if that makes a difference. The last one they fitted was one I got from Halfords.

I'll let you know if it goes again.

Cheers

Jim

Just got it back now............. I had it confirmed just how much id been ripped off when I arrived and they were washing it!!! and they gave me the rear bulb for "free".

I would nomally have done this myself but wondered if either me fitting them in the past or the halfords crap bulbs were causing them to blow all the time. Hopefully I should have some come back if they go in the next few months as they said there was nothing wrong other than the bulbs.

I have this problem and after hours of screaming at honda they found a fault with my Light relay they wanted £350 to do the job and would cover it under warrenty either.

I lookd the part up and its about £120 and its easy to do so going to get it sorted once I get some spare cash. I'd ask them to look at that and if its a problem try to get warrenty cover but don't hold your breath.

I used to use the halfords ones, but for some reason the passenger side bulb kept blowing, but the glass itself was buldging. That meant I couldn't get the bulb out without leaving half the glass wedged in, which stripping the bumper and light off and using a screwdriver to get the other half out. After doing this twice in 2 weeks I put the original bulbs back in and, touch-wood, never had any problems since.

I guess it could just be the manufacturers poor quality when the bulbs are made.

same problem here, and continued for months. took it to honda 3 times and they said there was no problem but they could fit a new relay, witch baffled me as they said there was no problem. anyways after wasting money on bulbs and labour trying to solve the problem i decided to have a go myself. so this is what i did.

first off i switched the lights on and off about 10 times to se if it was a surge of power blowing the bulbs on start up. but it wasn't
next i turned lights on and had a good fiddle with the connectors on the rear of the bulbs. and as i was playing with the right on it went out and about a millisecond later the left one went out and the right came back on but the left stayed off (blown bulb)
so with a small flat head screwdriver i pried the connectors closer together so they would clamp the terminals on the holder that holds the bulb (that funny white plastic butterfly shaped holder that you clip the retaining wire to)
so its been a whilst now and have had no more blown bulbs
problem solved

p.s slap some vaseline in the connectors too for the future.

peace

I had the same problem with my rear light bulbs. Happen every few weeks, but randomly just stopped. I never put anything but halfords bulbs in it though.

Back