• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Heat Soak

I know i am probably being a right bell-end but could someone please explain Heat Soak to me. I have had a hunt around as i know the 1st bit of advice is normally to read the stikeys.

Cheers in advance.

The colder the air the better it combusts. So if your air intake is near a source of heat (e.g. the engine) then it will be pulling in warmer air (that doesn't combust as well) than a good cold air intake.

Hot air is less dense than cold fella, so in effect you get less air into the engine. Cold air you get more air per volume due to it being more dense.

To add to G and Al, if you want cold air stay away from K&N's, they will give you heatsoak. If you want a good, well proven Cold Air Induction kit, go for an AEM, if you want the daddy of all CAI Boxes, go for the Gruppe M, but be prepared to pay a lot for one;)

Hot air is less dense than cold fella, so in effect you get less air into the engine. Cold air you get more air per volume due to it being more dense.

The offside to this is that warmer air is easier for the engine to combust, so technically a CAI kit will make it marginally harder for your car to come to life in a morning. If you've got a car in a garage that doesn't fancy starting, zap a hot air fan under it on a cold cold morning and it'll start with far less trouble thanks to that warm air. The ideal scenario is to have a filter that sucks in engine warmed air initially then switches to suck in cold dense air. :)

Back