• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help - alarm messed up

Danger200

Please help im desparate.

i have a 52 plate civic with the h&r alarm. since i have bought it the alarm has never been right, it doesnt respond to the fob, so i bought new batteries and that never seemed to cure the problem.

well earlier at work two of my technicians come back to the office and when they locked their citroen berlingo it set my alarm (i had locked it with the key because the fob was playing up) they told me about it and when they unlocked their van it unlocked my car and let me start it.

is there anything i can do other than paying honda 90quid just to look at it. i have thought about disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds as ive heard that can work.

thanks for your help

I think you may have to disconnect the battery for longer than that. More like 30 mins.

oh really, does this mess anything up ECU/alarm wise? with my old alarm the battery could be taken out and put back in again where as my friends car he had to hold certain buttons down on his fob so the alarm on the car recognised it

I really don't know tbh. I know there were some problems with the alarms in the earlier CTR's, but I think that was mainly to do with the ultrasonics.

I'm guessing that if the alarm is faulty, Honda will want to stick new parts in which will mean £££. You're probably better off getting a better aftermarket Cat 1 alarm. It will probably be cheaper too.

I really don't know tbh. I know there were some problems with the alarms in the earlier CTR's, but I think that was mainly to do with the ultrasonics.

I'm guessing that if the alarm is faulty, Honda will want to stick new parts in which will mean £££. You're probably better off getting a better aftermarket Cat 1 alarm. It will probably be cheaper too.

yeah, i mean if they want 90quid just to look at it then i think they will want alot more to fix it. well its 90 providing it doesnt go over an hour and she gave the impression it will take longer.
do you know how much does a decent CAT1 alarm starts at? if not i will probably ring around tomorrow.
i may go for a clifford one or are there any better out there?

Probably looking at £200/250 upward for a Thatcham category 1 alarm fitted. Depends on the features you want and the company you go for, I think the cheapest Cliffords are more like £300-£400.

The 470 isn't Thatcham approved iirc (not category 1).

You'd need the next one up from that. It just means you wont benefit when it comes to renewal time.

fob can be seen in this link:

http://www.londoncaralarmco.co.uk/3-hornet-maxx1-alarms.html

I don't have a clue what mine cost as I made the garage fit it when I bought the DC5 as it was fresh import and insurance wouldn't cover without the cat 1 alarm. :) I'd image 200-250 as that seems to be the average on the net.

Can't see any reason the Cliffords products place wouldn't be real, have a google and see if anyone has had any experiences of them.

yeah i've tried researching any reviews on them but i couldnt uncover anything, seems like a real bargain though.
so to get the CAT1 certification does it have to be fitted by a garage/alarm fitter? i reckon i could fit it with the help of my mate, he has moved his alarm in and out of a few cars that he has bought, the only reason i'm hesitant is because i want it for the insurance side of things

If you disconnect the battery it wont change anything on the ECU unless Phase 1 are different to phase 2 models.

just a quick update, it's started to behave itself now. so i'm going to hold fire at the moment.

cheers for the help

Back