• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help Big problems!!!! PLEASE HELP

I have no idea where its come from but my car has suddenly started really screwing up. It all started this morning when the petrol guage said it had just above empty but it cut out on the way to the petrol station... Not sure if this is because it ran out of petrol or because of whatever is causing the following....

It wont accelerate properly, keeps "kangarooing" when trying to.. quite aggressively stuttering.

It also now wont start properly, has gradually gotten worse over about 10 starts of the car, It was taking longer and longer to start and now wont start at all!!!!!

I only bought the car yesterday :( It was fine last night!

Any help would be HUGELY APPRECIATED

Videos (Filmed on a private road)

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/joshisatopgeeza/?action=view&current=starting.mp4

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/joshisatopgeeza/?action=view&current=IMG_0871.mp4

Ive been driving it all day though? it hasn't been left to stand

Also it wouldnt cause the spluttering would it?

Grr :(

Have you tried resetting the ecu?

Also could be some dirt getting into the fuel system blocking the flow since you let the tank run dry but I'd expect the fuel filter to prevent that or maybe a bad earth? A bad earth could cause electrical problems

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it is a bad electrical earth. Try cleaning the battery terminals and earth straps down. Check the battery status with a voltmeter. Had the fuel filter changed recently? Could be a loose seal on the fuel pick-up pipe on the filter (it happened to me).

Despite it being a private road I will get on my high horse and say to wear your seatbelt for your own sake. ;)

Thanks for the replies!

I really appreciate it

Right the battery is charging and the meter is showing 12.8 volts if this means anything to anyone? The voltage is rising as its plugged in?

I didn't realise that a low battery can effect the ecu and running of the car??

12.8v doesn't sound like it's charging to me. Try turning some consumers on and rechecking the battery voltage with the engine running.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
right i understand, the charger im using has a "reconditioning" feature which is when battery's are very low i believe?

It keeps going into that mode so perhaps this is the issue. Ill leave it doing its thing overnight.

I still dont understand how this would cause the car to splutter though. In the past if ive jumped a car because of a flat battery its driven fine..?

Granted the engine had to be left running but the car still ran the same.

Somebody may need to explain this to me

Once the engine is running and the field circuit of the alternator is excited it will power all the electrical circuits.

In other words, the battery is only used for initial start-up, or for using the electrics when the engine isn't running

If there is not enough power to run everything something has to give I:e lights might go dim slow starting etc etc. You need a meter on your battery while the car is running not a optimiser reading.

Once the engine is started the battery is redundant. It is only there to be charged up. All of the electrical circuits will be powered by the alternator.

I know that but if it's not giving enough charge out that will do it. Also one of the coil packs could be on it's way out as it's doin it while it's under heavy load.

Back