• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HELP!!! EP3 making a noise when going reaching high speed (90mph+)

It seems to be coming from the two joint vents in the middle , I've checked almost everything , seals etc.

Just off the topic as well , my ep3 seems slow , I lined up with a mates volvo c30 on a private road of course, and my ep3 was quicker but not by much, I'm having valves adjusted if they need doing , but the ep3 shouldve pulled away volvo 175bhp . Sorry guys I know it's a different topic I'm going on now but you guys seem well knowledged so I thought I might as well ask , thanks in advance to everyone

Stevie will give it a good going over. It's one thing giving speculation and advice on a forum, it's something completely different actually having the car in front of you.

Valve clearances could be causing all manor of mis-fires or lack of compression if they are well out, but you'd have probably noticed that.

What are the book figures on the C30? Might be a torquey thing and you'd pull away on top end.

Ye true , ** let u know how performance is after the few fixes , ngk spark plugs etc. Hope fully it's gonna feel better , what could the whistling sound be when accelerating ? Is that part of the characteristics as well ?

UPDATE. Sorry guys it's been sometime but I'd like to tell you where the ep3 stands so far, valves have been adjusted car feels better

In regards to noise over 100mph I haven't been over a 100mph since the last time so it's not been tested. ** trial that soon. Recommend Grinspeed to everyone!!

Now the Bad news : slight rattle on cold start up I have been told it could be the chain , my cars done only 60k so I guess I'm unlucky will have to get the chain and guides done before its too late.

EML light came on , 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 , it's been cleared but it could come back on , whats the cause of this ? Could it be because of too much vtec?

That's your secondary O2 sensor, the one after the cat has put the EML on.

Are you running a decat?

No its completely standard mate. The fault code has been reset I've Driven a few miles and it's not come back on , I got the missis to drop me off to work 2day as I don't think I should drive it , what's your advice ? Is it still drivable until I get it fixed ?

Where can I get a 02 sensor from ? (Good price)

also what's your say on the rattle I have on a cold start?

Thanks loxy.

Code P0141

Last edited by a moderator:
New sensor, and bite the bullet at Honda only as aftermarket ones fail very quickly. It will drive OK, just don't smash it everywhere as the ECU will be messing with the fueling as the sensor isn't reading right.

Hard to tell on the rattle, could be VTC gear but could also be the chain. Get it to Grinspeed as the only way to tell is to get the cover off and have a poke around.

£180 I've been quoted from Honda dealers for the sensor

I've read many things on this 1-2 second rattle on start up and in some stories for the unfortunate they have bent the valve because the chain has snapped , that's just pure horror there.

Well that's not the starter noise no. It sounds like the top end isn't getting any oil when it's starting.

So basically your saying it's the chain and it should need replacing ASAP?? That only happens when left for a very long time . Would you advise driving it in the mean time ?

The car is quite rattley when Rev's are dropping coming to a stop , sounds like a shield rattle but it's not.

I'm thinking the timing might be out which is causing this 02 sensor to go off , also at the same time I should get the VTC gear changed £100 from Japserviceparts.

There are 2 types of gears one is the sprocket should I get that changed aswel?

And last question , I want full genuine parts (chain, guides and tensioners etc) I'd japserviceparts genuine? They are cheaper then tegiwa.

THANKS LOXY

:confused:

How did you get chain from what I said? :lol:

What's the mileage?

A chap on here had a similar noise that was solved by chaining the VTC gear. The exhaust gear is fixed so no need to replace that unless its teeth are worn.

If you're doing the VTC gear, yes it's worth doing the chain and tensioner, only the guides if they're worn.

Japcarparts shows a picture stating genuine Honda, but seems a bit too good to be true at that price. Dealers can't do them at that price so how they are doing it i don't know...

Sorry I just assumed lol , if oils not getting to the top then why is that because that's not good , I can't put my mind at ease knowing something is wrong

What's the cause ?

And yes your right they are cheap

The oil comment was just a guess. If it's been stood a while it will all be in the sump but you're pressure should spike pretty sharpish after starting.

Could be low oil, dirty oil, blocked channels or your oil pump.

Like I said, there was a thread about 9 months ago where a chap eventually solved it by replacing the VTC gear as that was rattling on start-up.

Update!!! Okay.. so its been quite a long time since I haven't been on so I would like to update who ever has read this post

I have so far been busy trying to get my ep3 up to scratch

I have had the chain tensioner and guides replaced..

I've given the car the beans and taken it to 140mph and there is no noise except me popping my keks apart from that all good..

ADVISE!!!! NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO TDI NORTH... THEY LEFT MY ROCKER COVER BOLTS OPEN AND I DROVE IT .. THEY KEPT IT FOR 2 MORE DAYS TO CLEAN UP AN OIL MESS.. LUCKYILY I ONLY GOT TIMING CHECKED FROM THEM AND NOTHING ELSE..

I've never once heard of people having a bad experience at TDI north, always heard good positive comments, people make mistakes every now and then but who doesn't? at least your car is all sorted now

ADVISE!!!! NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO TDI NORTH... THEY LEFT MY ROCKER COVER BOLTS OPEN AND I DROVE IT .. THEY KEPT IT FOR 2 MORE DAYS TO CLEAN UP AN OIL MESS.. LUCKYILY I ONLY GOT TIMING CHECKED FROM THEM AND NOTHING ELSE..

You'll be popular on here ;)

Back