• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help Needed ! Lost all gears apart from 3rd & 4th

Just parking the car and have lost all gears apart from 3rd & 4th! I think it must be linkage related because I physically can't move the the gear lever to the left to select 1st & 2nd. Can move it to select reverse but it doesn't engage and can move it up & down to select what I think is 3 & 4 but it could be 5th & 6th I suppose.

*Update* I think it's something serious in the gearbox. If i push the car in neutral there's a very loud click noise and trying to drive in 3rd or 4th results in motion but another clicking noise coming from the gearbox. Does anyone think this could be related to the Quaife LSD and clutch I had fitted 2 days ago?

Can anyone help please.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you pushed fit the bearing on the Quaife, was it an interference fit, as its supposed to be, I think this could be related to the LSD. However as you say you are getting a restriction from the linkage, its odd. Unless the bearing has loosened of the layshaft and the selector arm is locked.

When you pushed fit the bearing on the Quaife, was it an interference fit, as its supposed to be, I think this could be related to the LSD. However as you say you are getting a restriction from the linkage, its odd. Unless the bearing has loosened of the layshaft and the selector arm is locked.

Thanx for the reply; no idea re the Quaife as I didn't fit it. But like you say it's odd that gearstick is unmovable in one direction.

Reckon it's worth calling the AA out?? I doubt it though as it it seems like something has gone in the gearbox.

If you have the Honda care AA cover and you call them out be prepared to accept a bill if the aftermarket product is responsible for the fault. ;)

*Update* Sent the Civic back off to CPL on the back of an AA truck yesterday and got a call from Guy at 10am this morning to say it was ready to be collected:smt023.

Hopped on a train and got there at 3pm just in time to see a chap from Ariel delivering an Atom for Guy to fit a nitrous kit to:eek:. Thats just plain insane..

Anyway it turned out that a bush in the selector turret had failed which meant that gears weren't able to be selected correctly. Thank god it happened when the car was stationary otherwise the gearbox and engine could have been toast I reckon. Eitherway Guy said he'd never seen that type of failure before and it was a gearbox off job to fix but thankfully no damage.

Got to say CPL bent over backwards to rectify the problem (free of charge) and get me back on the road as soon as possible. Great support and the car is totally transformed. :D

mate, just out of interest how much did it cost to do the job? I also have a slight problem with my gearbox. Although I have extended warranty, honda may not cover it which means I may have to pay for the work done. :evil:

Back