• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help needed with winter wheels

Hi guys, I need some advice on winter wheels for my EP3.

I live in Aviemore, around some of the heaviest snow and worst roads in winter. My drive to work is 36 miles on a road notorious for snow, I'll be driving at very unsociable hours, where rescue is hours away. I have a lot of experience driving in the snow, though not in my type-r.

The one thing that my experience of snow driving has taught me is that the thinner your tyres are, the better the car handles. So I've been wondering about buying a set of winter wheels and tyres, as the oems are pretty wide. I don't know much about what wheels sizes will fit this car, so I could use some help.

Will 15s or 16s fit around the brakes?

What is the narrowest wheel size and offset you think/know will fit an EP3?

Does anybody have experience driving a type-r in proper snow conditions? (not the 2cm of slush that makes all the Englishers crash)

Cheers guys.

Some pics from aviemore and the road to work last winter. This is the extent of the problem!

25022010332.jpg

05122011145.jpg

05122011143.jpg

My EP3 was crap in the snow on brand new F1 Asymmetric 2s. I had to put off getting my FN2 for a week because I couldn't get out of town with the EP3 to the dealers in Jan 2010. It just wouldn't go up hills.

If you are expecting snow, I'd definitely invest in some winter rubber.

I switch to Toyo Snowprox's in the winter months, never had an issue with them :)

Edit: That's also commuting to work by awful B roads that haven't been cleared.

Yep, snow tyres are a given up here! Dunes I'll have a look for the toyos, though I'm a big fan of nokian winter tyres. I've had a few sets of nokians on a few different cars and they've all performed superbly.
I know this is likely never been asked on this forum, but what I really need to know is what is the minimum wheel width I could get away with on my EP3, and what the corresponding offset would need to be. Have a look at rally cars on snow tyres to see what I mean, it makes a big difference having skinny wheels!

The main issue you'll have to check is clearance on the front calipers. Space saver doesn't fit because on the front because of the calipers.

There are a few continental members in countries where winter tyres are mandatory, hopefully one of those people will be along to advise what size wheels they fit, or you could try searching for some of their members car threads.

Main dealers might also do a winter wheel option so might be worth dropping Hendy a PM.

Buy a cheap 106. Skinny wheels and doesn't matter if you crash it. Will probably work out the same price as 4 winter tyres.

I had Snowprox on my EP3 in Germany and they were pretty awesome in some savage snowstorms. Plus while you're on winter tyres you're not wearing down your summer tyres. Another thing to note is that summer tyres don't work well at all below 8 degrees whereas winter tyres will.

Back