• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Help! poorly ctr ep3

Ive got a starting up problem with my car,
when i switch the engine on the car really struggles to start, it fires up but it seems to be miss firing or something but after 30 seconds or so it sorts itself out.
Ive changed the spark plugs but that didnt help and I took the AEM cai off and that didnt help either, ive noticed that when i turn the key just before the point where the engine turns over theres a noise from what seems to be the fuel rail, its like a slow ticking noise.
Has anybody got any ideas?
cheers
Kyle

I tested the battery and it is nearly dead, I really would never of thougt of that so thanks for the replies! went to halfords to get a new battery and the one i got doesnt fit! typical. going to honda to get one tomorrow.
cheers

i got one from honda today £47 total. £13 cheaper than halfords, fitted it this morning. also got a fuel filter whilst i was there for £32, that looks a real tricky job!! Now ive fitted the new battery ive found that my starting problem has got a little better but not completely, anybody got any other ideas?
plus- i want a better exhaust system, currently got a magnex cat back but now ive had the car 12 months i want something better!
spoon
hks
blitz
z5igen
dc sport
How can i advertise this on the site?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still got problems

Hi, Ive been out and about in my car tonite and ive still got got my starting problem, the car switches on first turn now with the new battery but the miss firing is as bad as ever! it sounds like its starting with no fuel to burn or too much fuel to burn, its smoking quite heavily aswell suggesting maybe its over fueling? But after 30 seconds it runs fine apart from the heavy exhaust smoke.
Im going to fit the new fuel filter tomoz but that aint gonna make any difference,
ive only just changed the oil (Castrol edge 5w-30 fully synthetic)
and the spark plugs (NGK laser iridium)
new Honda battery, so not any of those causing a problem!
Has anybody had this problem with there CTR?

Get it plugged into a diagnostics unit ASAP.

***gentle nudge regarding text speak offered***

i will double check to be on the safe side but should be fine, fitted spark plugs many times in the past.
Im not far away from TDI north, might give them an email and see what they can do.

£££'s

Got my car booked in at Honda for tomorow afternoon, having diagnostics. £40 its costing which isnt too bad to be fair.
Just hoping that nothing too major comes up!!

It turns out i have a missfire on cylinder 4 which is causing the problem.
Honda claim they've had a few type r's in with a similar problem and the cause is; Over revving?? or changing down a gear by mistake causing the engine to scream!! (I have done that twice-6th to 3rd instead of 5th)
So its most likely the timings out or a valve on cylinder 4 needs reseating.
This sounds expensive to me, Honda haven't quoted a price yet!

I took the head off and nothing looks like it shouldnt! i also had it looked at and nothing major seems to be wrong, it should just need a new coil pack on cylinder 3! not 4 like honda claim!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the mis fire every time you start the car or just after its stood for a while?

Mine had a misfire on start up but cleared after few seconds but generally when it was cold or had been parked up for a while. Turned out to be head gasket leaking into piston pot 3 IIRC

Ive just ordered some coil packs, apparently no.3 coil pack is giving up which is causing the missfire and the snap on engine scanner brings up a missfire fault code for no.3 cylinder, however im sure the car is using more water than it should? maybe ive got a headgasket leak?
I should get my coil packs tomorow so i'll let you know if they sort the problem.

Shame you didn't have a mate with a EP3 you could have tried his as oppssed to forking out for a new one.

Or he could have just swapped them round to see if the missfire moved to another cylinder with the suspect coilpack.

Back