• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HID problem for a friend

Hi all. Not been on this much over the past few weeks but my friend who has a 04 face lift CTR has has went out and bought HIDs but is having a problem. One of the HIDs keeps coming loose from the socket.

He was wondering if he could cut the black socket off that you plug the standard bulds into off and use bulit conections to connect them. (I dont think he can but he does)

Any help for him would be good.

Thanks

mr_sport

i take it you mean one of the (red/black) spade connectors is loose in the existing bulb plug?
i had this problem aswell and ended up putting a flat headed screwdriver into the plug connections to try and squeeze the connector to make them grip the spade crimp.
personaly i wouldn't cut the plugs off, instead i would splice a piece of cable from the bulbs to the cables on the plug.

Yes thats whati think is wrong with his. So he can just splice into the wires and will be ok. Does he need anything else to do that

Thanks

mr_sport

I wouldnt recommend cutting the standard socket of, in case in future when you want to sell car or decide to take hid's out for example!

try what stu1873 said, on mine the spade's connectors were in quite firmly but i used plenty of insulation tape wrapped tightly to make sure it stays in place and protected from rain and the weather etc.

I keep the standard bulbs in the boot in case the hid's ever blew or went wrong I could at least stick the normal bulbs back in for the time being :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he hgas done that now but he managed to short everything out becasue the spades hit the body work and blew a fuse. haha

He said thanks for all the help.

Back