• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HIDs 4300k vs 6000k

Been looking for comparison pictures of the OEM 4300k look over the 6000k option.

Could you tell me what most of the honda drivers among us use and post pictures if you can be bothered.. :D

Also did you opt for the 35w or 50w HID kit?

6000k 55w kit but on an FN2.

Sdc11318.jpg

Sdc11321.jpg

Beforeandafter.jpg

In my experience most colour temp ratings for aftermarket HID kits are miles out because people used to think that the higher the temperature the brighter it is. So manufacturers used to bump up the rating by anything up to 2000K to attract sales.

Most aftermarket 6000K is more like 4700K-ish which is slightly whiter than OEM 4300K. In reality 6000K should be green, 5000K is blue, 8000K purple/pink. That's not to say that all aftermarket kits have the wrong temp rating, I have seen a few that are fairly accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
got to say the 8000k's are not purple/pink in my experience. had about 3 sets all 8000k it is a light but noticable blue. i wonder if i have any pictures to demonstrate.

i would suggest you don't get the 8000k as they 6000k are the best, but i am a bit of a chav you see (well according to neil h), so i like the blue ones. but i have had a reasonable search around my picture folder and have not come up with anything as yet.

Yeah they are nice motors! Good runners too well over 100k..

But decided against as running and maintenance costs such as tyres and new parts would cost the earth over the ep3.. I heard the rear tyres are about £200 each :|

presumably you're talking about the 18" rear tyres for the e46 coupe. you can get nankangs for £70 a corner but a reasonable tyre like falkens start from £120. the fronts are about a tenner cheaper as they are staggered rims bigger on the rear. servicable parts are cheap so long as your engine or gearbox doesn't blow up.

got to say the 8000k's are not purple/pink in my experience. had about 3 sets all 8000k it is a light but noticable blue. i wonder if i have any pictures to demonstrate.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. When you buy 8000K you're actually getting 5000-6000K. It's just the manufacturer bumping up the rating.

So there's no real point comparing or advising which temp to go for as they're all so inaccurate. Best off just asking the seller for the colour you want, i.e white, blue, green, purple etc and let them recommend.

I had OEM 4300 in but changed the bulbs for 6000. They're a greener blue colour and resemble daylight more IMO.

Back