• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HID's

My Type R has HID's, obviously aftermarket. Just a bit worried about using them with how bright they are.

Do they blind oncoming drivers at all? I was driving down a country lane at night and usually need full beam a lot. I didn't even need to touch the full beam, the HID's lit the entire place up. It was good, but surely this is terrible for on coming drivers?

I resorted to turning the height down to the lowest setting and they're still outragously bright.

I was reading the standard housings of cars can't handle the light and it overleads the reflectors, blinding people?

Have a mate drive infront of you and ask them :lol:

There are quite a few variations on the K and the W so you would need to find out what they are.

The problem with aftermarket kits is there are very few that has near perfect geometry, particularly for the pre-facelift EP3 (H4 bulb). Not sure what car you've got, but if it is a PFL EP3 then most aftermarket kits will have sh1t geometry which means the beam pattern would be a mess. The way you can tell is to park your car up against a garage door or wall and have a look at the beam pattern. For all cars you should get a distinct "cut off" line roughly in line or slightly below the level of your headlights. You should have light below this line, but no light (or very little) above. There should also be a “kick up splay” towards the passenger side.
Most aftermarket kits (particularly the reflector type like H4) struggle to get a clean pattern and usually has lots of light above the cut-off (glare). This is what blinds oncoming traffic.

HID's on my DC5 don't seem to bother other drivers but as said it depends on the concentration of the beam. If you're worried take it to garage who can test and see if the beam is legal, that will give you an idea.

If you've got a facelifted one however then you should be alright. The facelifts have the projector lenses which are designed for HIDs. That's why you'll always find projector lenses rather than reflector on all factory HID installs.

I've had a kit on my facelift for a couple of years and never had a problem. It cuts off where it should and flicks up on the passenger side where it should.

If you've got a facelifted one however then you should be alright. The facelifts have the projector lenses which are designed for HIDs. That's why you'll always find projector lenses rather than reflector on all factory HID installs.

I've had a kit on my facelift for a couple of years and never had a problem. It cuts off where it should and flicks up on the passenger side where it should.

This, facelift lights ftw

JDM PFL EP3 with HIDs didn't have projector headlight neither do the current Civic and they're available with HIDs.....

Ok thats good.

Just had a drive and a gander against the front of the house!

There is a definite cut off line on the right hand side (drivers side), quite low. The left hand side seems to rise higher though on the passanger side. I only imagine this is to not blind oncoming drivers, but to light up signs/side of road etc?

Happy i saw a definite line on the right!

Ok thats good.

Just had a drive and a gander against the front of the house!

There is a definite cut off line on the right hand side (drivers side), quite low. The left hand side seems to rise higher though on the passanger side. I only imagine this is to not blind oncoming drivers, but to light up signs/side of road etc?

Happy i saw a definite line on the right!

That's exactly the reason why there is a kick up splay. But without an auto-levelling device you will still blind oncoming drivers when you go over a crest or if your car is pointing higher than oncoming traffic.

It's easy to pass the MOT with projectors as they tolerate a larger error margin in the bulb geometry simply because it reflects all the light towards an inverted shield behind the collimator. So effectively doesn't allow any light above the cut off.

Oh OK, useful that, cheers. I'm getting tired of concerning myself with the bloody HID's and front tints and associated problems but get called a pussy when i'm on about taking them off.

They're close to getting gone I think.

Oh OK, useful that, cheers. I'm getting tired of concerning myself with the bloody HID's and front tints and associated problems but get called a pussy when i'm on about taking them off.

They're close to getting gone I think.

Stop being a pussy lol. Honestly it's no big deal, it not as if you've taken off the cat. I'd take the HIDS off for MOT time because they're easy to swap but leave the tints until that part fails your MOT. Stop worrying, you'll be fine.

Back