• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HIDs

Hello all, i'm new to forums, and new to the Type R. its a civic 51 plate. i have just bought H4 HIDs for it but they are no working. The supplyer says that will have to buy a HID decoder. i was just wondering if this true. how have you guys wired them up. your imput in this matter would be greatly received.

Dave

alright raver, if i were you i'd have a look through the electrical section. there are loads of threads on hids/xenons. http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?150-Electrical-amp-ICE

in the past when i've retrofitted xenons to cars you have the bulb and it plugs into what is normally called a ballast, this then plugs into the original ending. not heard it being called a HID decoder, could just be different terminology. i never fitted xenons to a civic before. also you have a pre-facelift civic ep3 rather than facelift ep3. this is important to note as i believe the bulbs and installation is different between models.

as above you cant just buy the bulbs, you need the power ballasts to get them to light up. they are normally universal so may be worth searching ebay as they normally come in Kit's with bulbs included. (around £70)

presuming the pre-facelift has the same connections as the facelift, you will need bulb adapters also. i may be wrong as im quite sure that my facelift uses H1 bulbs, and you stated you have H4's. the adapters are here but again it states 03-06.

hope that helps

Preface don't need adaptors, only facelift ctr's need them, preface use h4, facelift use h1.

Hi all, still not working, I don't need adapters as they fit, the lights work just using the battery but plugging them in properly, they don't want to know. I had an electrician look at it and he says that I need a negitive feed kit! I have also tried the decoders. Very annoying, I have never had this problem before as they have always worked with my others cars.

back to the earlier statement, are you using power ballasts?
they look like these;

35W-AC-Ballast.jpg

if you dont have one of those between the bulb and the power connection then they wont work.

Back