• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

HIDS4u

just a update to this long lost thread I started lol

One of my HID's has stopped working today :cry:
The worst thing is the 2 year warranty hids4u provide finished just 2 months ago ](*,)

Im so gutted and disappointed, I paid £200 for these hoping for long lasting quality! But oh well they have been PERFECT till now so cant complain, sh1t happens!
My brother at the same time bought a cheap £60 set elsewhere and are going strong to this day!

anyway, on a quick inspection I think the ballast has gone?? as I cant hear any current flowing through them and I checked all the fuses! Need to check the connections and bulb yet though, but im pretty sure I fitted it solid!
They provide replacement ballast for about £40, but im thinking to go else were now??
what should I do??

Last edited by a moderator:
If you suspect the ballast has gone, swap the ballasts or bulbs around to see.

If its the ballast, just get yourself one off ebay, no real difference tbh. Just make sure the spec and plugs are the same.

yeah that's what I was thinking mate, the plugs may not match!!
Cool, I will check them properly and go from their :)

One last thing, the bulbs are 6000k, if I get a set of 8000k, is it just a case of plug and play??

yeah that's what I was thinking mate, the plugs may not match!!
Cool, I will check them properly and go from their :)

One last thing, the bulbs are 6000k, if I get a set of 8000k, is it just a case of plug and play??

Not being funny but they're all made in the same factory in China (not a bad thing). I bought an expensive set from convert2xenon.com and they were awesome. I then bought a set for the other half's car but went to ebay instead for a 55w kit for £50 delivered from China. The bulbs are exactly the same and the ballasts look it too albeit different sticker.

I wouldn't be put off the ebay ones as they are just as good. In your case you can just buy a single replacement ballast. All ballasts and bulbs have the same connector so don't worry about that, just make sure you get the correct wattage.

Bulbs are plug and play so you can swap for different colour temperatures. I changed from 6000k to 8000k not long ago with a bulb set from ebay for £8.00. Again it's the same bulbs you get everywhere.

Good luck mate.

Not being funny but they're all made in the same factory in China (not a bad thing). I bought an expensive set from convert2xenon.com and they were awesome. I then bought a set for the other half's car but went to ebay instead for a 55w kit for £50 delivered from China. The bulbs are exactly the same and the ballasts look it too albeit different sticker.

I wouldn't be put off the ebay ones as they are just as good. In your case you can just buy a single replacement ballast. All ballasts and bulbs have the same connector so don't worry about that, just make sure you get the correct wattage.

Bulbs are plug and play so you can swap for different colour temperatures. I changed from 6000k to 8000k not long ago with a bulb set from ebay for £8.00. Again it's the same bulbs you get everywhere.

Good luck mate.

Good advice. But be careful with selecting the colour temperature. They vary a lot as these numbers are generally bumped up as people used to think the higher the number the brighter it is (not so!). So you're better off asking the seller which one gives you the colour you want. 99% of aftermarket kits will not give you the correct colour temperature. I.e. 6000K is actually around 5000K, 8000K is more like 6000K etc...

Also, as aleung2 stated, most of the kits these days use the standard type plugs. But do check as there are some that don't use this standard plug.

have you not asked leeh on this forum, he does HID kits real cheap and from previouse experience his products are amazing.

Hi guys thanks for all the help :)

hmm I see so I guess the benefit of staying with hids4u is that its good quality and actually is what it says it is!
I will PM leeh and see what kits he does, would rather get it from someone who is recommended :)

I currently have 35W 6000K HID's (or so I believe they are lol)
I have always hoped they were a bit more brighter and more blue though!

If i get 55W 8000K, will these be brighter and more blue??
as ive heard that the higher wattage drowns the blue effect :confused:

I've got 55w 8000k now and is much bluer than my old 6000k. The 6000k looks ice white in comparison but I must admit, the blueness from the cockpit perspective doesn't make it look as bright as the 6000k. So if you want max light output I'd stick with what you got but if you want a blue tinge (and that's all it is, not ridiculously blue to get you noticed) then go for the 8000k. The 6000k not hugely brighter so that's why I've stuck with the 8000k. Besides the bulbs are only a tenner or something so it's not an expensive gamble.

aleung is on the money.

all comes from the same factory in china. these hidblablabla.co.uk internet sellers buy reasonably large bulk orders. perhaps paying 15-20 quid for a kit for 50 units rather than you paying 55 from the seller on ebay china (also getting a deal on the shipping fees as they are not heavy or particularly bulky so 2 medium boxes with 25 units in would weigh less than 25 kilo per box, low value for customs). at the same time they'll get some decent packaging made up, and some nice stickers to put on the ballasts, a couple of quid a box so it looks better when they send them out.

they'll sell them out at around 80-100 quid, offering a 1 or 2 yr warranty. keep a few in reserve for the inevitable failures within that period and just write that off. they should be turning 60 quid a kit, including warranty replacements.

Absolutely bang on. Even if they do buy them at full price they're still making a decent return. A 55w kit is about £50 on ebay but they're sold for at least £120 on www.hidblablabla.co.uk. Say £10 per box for fancy packaging then that is still 100% mark up.

You should partner in on his business if that's the case....make more money than most other businesses out there.

aleung is on the money.

all comes from the same factory in china. these hidblablabla.co.uk internet sellers buy reasonably large bulk orders. perhaps paying 15-20 quid for a kit for 50 units rather than you paying 55 from the seller on ebay china (also getting a deal on the shipping fees as they are not heavy or particularly bulky so 2 medium boxes with 25 units in would weigh less than 25 kilo per box, low value for customs). at the same time they'll get some decent packaging made up, and some nice stickers to put on the ballasts, a couple of quid a box so it looks better when they send them out.

they'll sell them out at around 80-100 quid, offering a 1 or 2 yr warranty. keep a few in reserve for the inevitable failures within that period and just write that off. they should be turning 60 quid a kit, including warranty replacements.

I'm glad you posted that. I knew this when everyone was paying £200+ for a kit a few years back from these hidblablabla.co.uk sites but if I had said anything then I'd get flamed and banned from CTRO! lol :p

ahh thanks guys :)
Im waiting for a reply from "Leeh" about the hid's, if not i will get some of ebay :lol:

Just concerned with being supplied with a colour temperature that is lower than stated etc!
any thing in particular I should look out for??

Seem alright and a bargain for a slim kit. Seller has 6200 feedback with 99.6% positive....I don't think you'll be taking much of a risk if you ask me. It's less than half the price of what you would pay from recognised websites.

ah yeah that's what I was thinking, cool I may try these, it might be worth me contacting the seller first to confirm it is a true 8000k etc

I will keep you all posted :D

oh I remembered when I got my kit originally it was H1 but came with a H4 plastic adaptor to put on the end, as the facelift headlights on the ctr is a bit strange, takes a H1 bulb which slots into a H4 adaptor plug!

soo I was just wondering will any normal H1 hid bulb fit straight in or will i need the adaptor again?? :confused:

I think what you mean is that your old H1 bulbs came with an adaptor with 2 prongs, which loosely resembles a bow-tie. Any H1 will fit in this adaptor.

However, I don't think that adaptor itself is there to change it to a H4 fitment but i may be wrong. Either way, any H1 kit will do if you've already got the adaptors. Good luck mate and keep us posted.

Back