• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Higgmeisters K20 DC2 Build

Greetings everyone.

I've owned my DC2 for around 18 months now, bought primarily as a track car to have a bit of fun with. I bought it off a friend as I knew the car's history and had been worked on near enough entirely by Automek in Glasgow.

Right off the bat the car was a very capable track car;

JDM 96 Spec DC2

Stevenek9's old gearbox;
ATS close ratios gearset (3rd/4th/5th)
Synchrotech Carbon Lined Synchros
Spoon 1.5 way Differential

Arc air intake
Spoon N1 back box
Tegiwa de-cat
RMF Manifold

98-Spec 282mm Front Brakes with Stoptech Discs, Pads and Braided lines
Cusco Zero-1 Coilovers
Spoon front and rear Strut Braces
Beaks Tie Bar

Recaro SPG Seats
Luke Harness
Nardi Steering Wheel
Cusco 7-Point Rollcage
All other interior stripped out
J's Racing Carbon Canards

Spoon front Lip
Azect rear Lip
Custom rear Diffuser
Mugen 1st Gen Rear Spoiler
Enkei NT03 which i wrapped in Kumho V700 track rubber

After having a year or so simply just fixing the car on stuff that had been neglected in the past, I decided to take the plunge and make the car my own a drop a K20 in.

Here was me having my last outing at Knockhill B18 powered before the swap begins.

Onwards and upwards eh?

I choose to go with the K20a2 from a UK EP3 because I seen no point on paying more for a JDM K20. I'm planning on putting a LSD in the gearbox, possibly with a final drive to.

So the donor engine came out of a daily EP3. Rather caked in grime and drit after serveral years on UK roads.

Time to strip it back and check the engine over before giving it a little freshen up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engine loom, inlet manifold, fuel rail and other bits and pieces stripped off the block.
Now to degrease the engine and get all that crud off to freshen it up.

I have no experience on tools, so doing this myself has been interesting so far seeing how everything goes together. Knuckles are well and truely scuffed haha

Top work. Big balls for diving in at the deep end and losing your spanner virginity on a k20 swap.

Chuck_Norris_salute.gif

That was a good spec you started with, it's going to be awesome with a K20 I'd love to get round to doing a k swap myself one day.

Keep us posted mate

I've been in a K20 DC2, they shift! Watch out for sump smashing though (or going dry sump?)

K swap seemed like my only option. Tuning the B18 would have just been a waste of money imo. As I'm hoping if all goes well that the engine can be put into something else...say something RWD once the Teg is finished with :)

I don't really get why people are so worried about there sumps...I'm more worried about the gearbox as it sits about level with the sump. I guess there is always the option to get a steel sump. Dry sump is just much money atm. I guess it will be a good excuse to run a reverse rake set up. Need to get more weight over the back wheels as it tends to be a little twitchy

He sold it and built a turbo S2K, but he was going to go dry sump. It was only ever the sump he smashed.

could always be on the cards further down the line. My mate is about receive a prototype dry sump to put onto his k20/k24 lotus elise. Will be good to see that up and running

Genuine question here on Sump Smashing - is it easy to save the engine?

I guess as soon as the Oil light comes on you kill the ignition if you haven't already done so? I suppose the oil circulating the motor won't escape as quickly as the oil in the sump thus buying you some time....

Awesome car by the way. A K20'd DC2 has to be my ideal car!

I guess it depends on how bad you smash the sump and the amount of luck you have. If the sumps is bashed and punctured and you manage to turn the engine off with sufficient oil left in it, then you are okay. But the worst case taking the sump clean off, it's game over

I used this stuff to degrease the engine. Worked pretty well;

Now that its a little cleaner, time to take the gearbox, clutch and flywheel off and get it up on and engine stand to do some further work.

Got the engine up on a stand and gave it a lick of paint. Tidied up not too bad. Just need to get the rocker cover sprayed.

Dragged it through to the workshop to do a leak down on the engine and everything is spot on
-)).gif

The timing chain had stretched a little, so chain and tensioner will be getting replaced. Will be a lot easier with the engine out to change it

Rockercover wasalready painted by Spooner Restorations in Nimbus Grey. Done an amazing job. I'm still unsure of the colour myself. Just need to see it in the car to make up my mind.

The plug cover is just primed atm. It's just going to be painted black for now...

Back