• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Honda Civic EP3 grinding/wearing noise

I have a 54 reg Honda Civic EP3.

I noticed a crunching/grinding/wearing like noise with the window down. However it only happens for a shore time between 1500-2000rpm in 1st and 2nd, less so in the other gears to almost no noise.

I've put the car in neutral (engine running) and when I lift the clutch up there's a slight change in tone of noise, sounds like a worn kinda noise. At first I feared it was the gearbox but looking online it appears it might be the INPUT SHAFT bearing. I just wanted to know if anyone else has expericne this problem and it is as I fear the bearing?

Common problem mate
Does sound like the input shaft bearings , so it will need a gearbox strip & bearing replacement

i had my input shaft bearing replaced 18 months ago, it started making the noise again 8 months after being replaced so i just stick with how it is now

So I put my car in the neutral, clutch down, gave a few revs and I can still hear the noise at just under 2000rpm, surely that means it cant be coming from the gearbox?

It is suggested for just about everything, but have you checked your driveshaft/exhaust manifold/i-VTEC cover for any movement? Driveshaft heatshield especially.

Im going to get the car up on a ramp after work. Technician at work seems to think its a loose heat shield or the cat needs replacing.

You won't need a new cat mate. There is a heat shield around the cat. It's probably that rattling. It's easy to remove a couple of nuts and bolts,it doesn't cause any problems removing this either.

youtube the noises there is all sorts of noises that people post with common easy fixes

Back