• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Hot off the press - Tdi North.

Just had these sent via MMS from the MD at Tdi North.

They are running a few tests for Honda... ;)

More info as and when.

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

If its as good as I've read it is for the EP3, then this is a definate FAIL.

(I know the EP3 was open cone...)

You need to really see what Mugen is all about then understand the time, effort and development that goes into the products. Problem is people see a market flooded with fake crap rather than all the designed quality components. They build race engines. They design and test exhausts, pistons, camshafts, intakes on their F1 engine dyno's making sure everything is spot on before it goes to market. Spoon if you want to compare take oem Honda parts and stick them in nice box's. :lol:

We at TDi North along with a handful of other appointed companies are working very closely with Mugen Euro and now Honda UK in developing and selling products and supporting them in the local market. This project we had in today is something which clearly shown the close working relationships we are getting to bring products to the end user. It's not something that's been available in the past dealing with a faceless company thousands of miles away that just supplies a part, who doesn't listen and certainly won't make changes if problems are seen.

If you ever get the opportunity to visit Mugen in Northampton then take it. I really can't start to describe the quality and depth of commitment to providing quality products.:cool:

Anyway. This car.

We had this car in several months back, a brand new CW edition to do a base dyno run then to fit a simple HKS drop in filter then tune a Hondata Flashpro. The car then went back to Honda UK HQ for evaluation.

Now this isn't any normal car, it's run by the head of vehicles at HUK who has been working very closely with Mugen in developing the M20's and now the M200's. This car has been fitted with the intake, manifold with cat and exhaust that are commercially available along with the Mugen suspension. Difference is this is a 100% road legal FN2 with the same untouched engine that all the rest of the FN2 owners have. This isn't a hand built K20A base engine as seen in the DC5 or FD2 and fitted in the M20's so Honda were quite keen to see how the car would perform when I had finished tuning it.

Results were that the car originally made 208bhp. This is pretty much accepted as being the norm now for the FN2's that were sold as being under 200bhp to escape the higher taxation grouping

With the drop in filter and Hondata we were seeing results of 212-215bhp but big midrange gains.

Now with the addition of the intake, (which didn't have the direct garnish scoop available) Manifold, with cat and exhaust the car was peaking at 233bhp. Its not as good as the cars I have done or my own running a race manifold but its the highest results I have seen a fully road legal car that will pass an MOT.

What next.

Well..... There are a couple of possibilities. The car will cease production next year. Honda are aware they are loosing ground to other manufacturers in the bhp stakes....even though a well driven Type-R will match a significantly higher bhp alternative but they want to go out with a bang.

Possibilities are of a limited edition higher bhp (road legal) car with full dealer warranty ... remember Mugen is very closely tied to Honda already. Bit of a swan song car. There is also the possibility of specifying these options upon order of your car and retaining full dealer warranty as is happening with the M200's.

Not sure if they will come with Flashpro or the cars will come to us first but this is an option that is being looked at after a discussion I was having with Hiro the other week. The most likely outcome is we map the engine on the dyno at Mugen then the flash is downloaded to the ECU's directly.

Will keep you posted on future developments as we go.:cool:

Paul

Just out of interest Paul, of the commercially available Mugen bits and your time, how much would it cost to spec a base FN2 like this?

Only reason I'm asking is that if Honda are thinking of releasing a car like this from the dealer, I'm guessing it would probably be the thick end of £26-27k without any of the aero kit? Some people will pay it though! :lol:

Im sure Mugen stuff is the very best quality but I just could'nt justify the prices

Back