• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How can I get closer to 300bhp N/A?

Hi everyone

I currently have a few useful bits for power. An uprated manifold and 3" system, a Gruppe M, a K100 and bigger cams.

What's the most cost effective way to get 300bhp N/A? I know i need a valvetrain upgrade and an S2000 oil pump so I can rev it higher, but what else? Not interested in forced induction as it's a track car.

Thanks in advance

Not sure on the most cost effective way but k24 bottom end would push you closer to 300bhp, rev a little lower but oodles of torque

This is what I wanted to do to my ep3 before I sold.

My plan was to bore it out to 2.2 & get the head ported and polished to death. Forged pistons and H-rods... S2k crank if I could find one & upgrade the whole valve train to run some mental cams.

There was a pair of 300ish N/A EP3s built by TDI North a while ago.
One uses Cosworth internals increasing displacement to 2.1 litres and ITBs.
The other uses a K24 bottom end, everything from Skunk2 parts catalogue and ITBs.

Neither were cheap builds

300bhp and NA would run into 5 figures surely? On an EP3. Fcuk that.

I'd budgeted about 6k for the build I wanted to do.

Also Re: Stroker kits, I wanted to avoid because you lose revs. Boring out you keep the same square stroke.

300bhp and NA would run into 5 figures surely? On an EP3. Fcuk that.

Parts, labour and tuning you're probably about right.
Somethings you could do yourself if you know what you're doing. Measuring shims, shell size, setting the cams up correctly ect. Machine work will have to be paid for (unless you work in a machine shop)
270-280 is easily achievable on the standard bottom end (I know your dyno'd at 270 but your aggressive final drive plays fückers with the dyno. Realistically it's probably 250-260). More than enough for the EP3 chassis.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is why I went for the JRSC option gives good linear power from bottom to top and 300bhp. However I would much prefer 300 NA but its too expensive. From what I have looked at K24 is a good option but id imagine you wont rev as hard due to the displacement.

K24 frank isn't an instant 300 either.

You typically make 260 with them but then you add high comp pistons, mad cams, big TB, decent inlet and exhaust manifold and you get up to 300. Neither option is cheap!

They do typically top off at about 7.8-8k too, so you loose that high reviness.

K24 frank isn't an instant 300 either.

You typically make 260 with them but then you add high comp pistons, mad cams, big TB, decent inlet and exhaust manifold and you get up to 300. Neither option is cheap!

They do typically top off at about 7.8-8k too, so you loose that high reviness.

very true there are a few on K20.org that are sat at the 270-280 mark with cams etc. They give a massive gain in torque 250ftlbs on some I noticed.

6f8577aa95ca83ca0c36f40733b9490c.jpg

And still at 90% of his real potential power

Vtec is like superman most of the time you are just Clark Kent

Last edited by a moderator:
Back