• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How long do you keep your paperwork?

Funky

Events Organiser
I keep all insurance related documents in a folder, each year I just add the next batch of policy documents into the folder and now I've got paperwork dating back from 2003 when I first bought the CTR.

Do I legally need to keep all these or can I throw them away once the policy has expired? I'd like to hear from some of the insurance companies that we have on the forum about this.

Thanks.

Once the documents have expired there is no need to keep them unless you have an ongoing or pending claim.

Personally I hang onto everything for about 5 years, but I'm a bit anal about paperwork!

Ollie
Sky Insurance

i still got my insurance from 3 years ago, not sure why just can't bring myself to shred it

i keep insurance documents for 30 days after their date of expiry or i have sold the car then shred. if ever insurance is required to be proved after those 30 days (and i can't think why) i could always call the insurance company and explain the situation.

Personally I hang onto everything for about 5 years, but I'm a bit anal about paperwork!

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Is there any legal requirement regarding this? Or can you do as Rossy says and just contact your insurance company if you need proof of a previous insurance policy?

I keep two-three years back. A mate once had a nasty experience where he cancelled a policy partway through, went to another insurer, who later asked for proof of his NCB. He had to go back to the insurer before the one that he cancelled, who had dissapeared! Couldn't get into contact with them so lost part of his NCB.

Back