• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How many handbrake clicks?

How many times does your handbrake click when you ratchet it up?

My 06 EP3 can be clicked 13 times, and at 9 or below the handbrake isnt fully engaged on a hill.

Both my previous car, an 03 Megane, and my sisters 06 Leon have handbrakes that are solid as a rock at two or three clicks, and both are higher mileage than the Civic. Should I be concerned?

Everytime I have a Honda health check thing, they always call me back to have my handbrake tightend.:rolleyes:

Living in Essex (flat) dont use it much though.

I'm sure someone did a how to on here on how to adjust the handbrake, can't find it though....

I always leave mine in gear when parked up. I don't trust the handbrake at all. It's very poor. :lol:

I've done mine, its easy enough. But don't want to encourage people to mess around with their brakes and get it wrong, causing an accident!!

Yes, leave it in gear - especially on a hill. I have read horror stories of them working loose.

It is also good practice to leave it in gear and the handbrake off after a spirited drive :D

thanks guys, had the leave in gear thing drummed into me since i was a whippersnapper (mechanic dad)

it was just so weird getting into the other two cars i mentioned and nearly dislocating my wrist!!!

my neighbours cousin visited her a couple of days ago, His 08CTR decided to go for a trip to the bottom of the hill without him. Funny watching an 80 year old hobble down a hill to fetch his car back from gravity.

Nelly quite rightly said, there is a brake tightning thread on here, but its for the EP3. Not sure if there is one for you newer guys.

my neighbours cousin visited her a couple of days ago, His 08CTR decided to go for a trip to the bottom of the hill without him. Funny watching an 80 year old hobble down a hill to fetch his car back from gravity.

Nelly quite rightly said, there is a brake tightning thread on here, but its for the EP3. Not sure if there is one for you newer guys.

80 year old in a type r?! lordy

Mine is an EP3, the last of the line I think

Any danger of a link to the thread?

am I the only one who pushes the button in when pulling up the handbrake?

yea i always push button in when applying the handbreak, done this ever since i started driving as my instructor said if he heard it click once he would beat me round the head :p
but yea i tested this last night and mine is on after 8 click, 9 clicks tight, id maybe got one extra for a hill along with keeping it in a high gear

Yes, leave it in gear - especially on a hill. I have read horror stories of them working loose.

It is also good practice to leave it in gear and the handbrake off after a spirited drive :D

Out of interest, why is this?

I always leave in gear, handbrake and wheels pointing into the kerb juuuust in case :eek:

80 year old in a type r?! lordy

he is a mean driver, once the cushion is high enough in his seat.

have a look in the how-to section. I only say, because I did ask about it a few months ago and someone kindly put pics up and everything. :cool:

Out of interest, why is this?

I always leave in gear, handbrake and wheels pointing into the kerb juuuust in case :eek:

Because metal expands when hot, so your rear discs will be wider if they have had a bit of abuse. Two things can happen after you put your handbrake on:

1. As the metal cools it shrinks and your what was well put on handbrake is barely worth mentioning now :lol:
2. You could bind the pad to the disc, although it would need serious abuse to get the rears that hot (Trackday or such like)

I find pressing the brake quite hard then putting the handbrake on gives far more resistance, so I'm assuming my handbrake is on tight

Back