• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How much engine oil?

Hey

just done an oil change on my ep3 type r. I put in 5 litres and its only on min mark! Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.

Different engines require a little more . My first CTR required exactly 4.7 litres and my newer one is just under 5. Even though it's basically the same engine. I don't know why. Prob just manufactoring tolorances.
You sure you've done up the sump plug ok ?

Thanks for reply nosman. Checked everything is tight. Looks like its gonna take 6 litres to get to max mark . Sounds a bit much.

If you've put in 5l, I'd personally wait a little while. Take it for a drive to warm the oil up, park it back up (on flat ground), then check again.

6l is a lot :lol: I've never used a whole 5l when I service my car.

Drove it about for a couple of hours. Left it overnight and had to add half a litre! So that was 5 and a half litres to max mark! Can't understand why it took so much.

A little high but just keep an eye on it and make sure your not losing any. As I said before, each engine is slightly differernt.

I changed oil and filter yesterday and found that the recommended 4.7l only took it to around the min mark.

Added another half litre this morning. If it is still sitting midway between min max at the end of the week, I'll add a further half litre.

My only thought was: do we leave our oil to drain for longer than they would in a commercial environment? Thereby possibly getting more of the old stuff out.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only thought was: do we leave our oil to drain for longer than they would in a commercial environment? Thereby possibly getting more of the old stuff out.

Firstly, you're probably talking about less than 50ml of oil, and no one is going to try and put the sump bung back in whilst it's still draining out.

I had my car serviced at Honda and I supplied 5l of Mobil 1, I didn't get any back after the service and the oil level was perfect on the dipstick.

You're right, leaving it to drip our for an extra hour probably makes an insignificant difference in the overall scheme of things.

Sent using Tapatalk

I could see where you was coming from though, my post seemed a bit shítty when I read it back :lol:

No worries.

I should also say that I reckon I got well over 4.7l out of mine too - it was definitely not over max on the dipstick when I checked it a few days earlier.

Sent using Tapatalk

How long do you need to leave the car after running it to get an accurate dip stick measurement?

Sent using Tapatalk

Just enough time for the oil to warm up and get round the engine. 5-10min run up and down the road will be enough.

I put in about 200ml more at the weekend. It now sits bang on max on the dipstick.

Checked last night after being sat for ten minutes outside the supermarket and then re-checked at work this morning after being sat for a couple of hours.

I reckon it took 5.5l total.

Sent using Tapatalk

Did mine last week and put in the full 5 litre can. This showed on the dipstick as halfway between min and max.
Left it overnight and checked it again.... It now sits just slightly over the max dot.
Always worth leaving it overnight to get an accurate reading as overfilling is'nt good.

Back